Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 amps, both buzz

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
heres the dealio, i was hooking up a blue LED to the remote wire of my radio, and i accidently touched it on the body of the car, nd it sparked sub made weird noise and i pulled it off, from then on, my alpine 2 channel, and my monoblock, both buzz, somehow, my amps run, without the earth connected, i run 1 power wire, to the mono block, then from the mono to the alpine, i unplug the ground from the mono to the alpine, and the alpine still runs?? how is it earthed still? and the buzzing is 2 different ones, one with the car off, that when i cover the fan hole on the mono, the fan slows down and the buzzing drops pitch so its buzzing from the fan, and another when i start the car, with the revs of the motor, help :(

crashnburn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
hey mate, yea i have the same problem, stereo was fine until i put an amp in to run my speakers. since then with accessories its been good, ignition on has been a buzz and when it running it gets interference from the charge rate? as the buzz changes pitch with the revs.

i was told to get a radio interference noise filter so i got one. it says to hook it up to the battery but since i used the original commodore wiring for my stereo i tried the live wire, accessories wire, and the remote wire for my amp with no change, buzz is still there..

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
What head unit?

If you unplug your RCA's I'd say your Alpine amp will turn off.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
hey mate, yea i have the same problem, stereo was fine until i put an amp in to run my speakers. since then with accessories its been good, ignition on has been a buzz and when it running it gets interference from the charge rate? as the buzz changes pitch with the revs.

i was told to get a radio interference noise filter so i got one. it says to hook it up to the battery but since i used the original commodore wiring for my stereo i tried the live wire, accessories wire, and the remote wire for my amp with no change, buzz is still there..

Hey mate.
Have you run the RCA and the power wire from the battery together if so this is could be the reason why there is hissing or buzzing coming
from your speakers.
RCA and thick power wires should not be ran together.
Because the thick power wire gives of a magnetic field if the RCAs are exposed to this it will make the hissing noise.
Always run the RCAs on one side and the power wire on the other side.
Also check your earth connections on your amps.

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
i have my rca up the left of the bottom of the doors, and my power on the right, and it started after i touched remote wire, did i blow the monblocks filter for the fan maybe??

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
You got to isolate the problem maybe take the RCAs off from the deck and see if it makes the noise still.
Make sure you got good ground to the body. Run separate grounds from the body to your amps.
And run each amp by it self. and see what happens.
You could of done some damage when shorting the wires.

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
i dont want it to turn off, im ondering how it runs with no earth, and when i unplug the rca partialy from the mono, so just the bit the goes on the inside of the socket is touching, it stops

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Dint understand some of the things on the last post.
But maybe the amp is getting its earth from the body.
Have you bolted down the amp on the body of the car. Some electrical components use this type of technique
to earth the components. But I have never used amp like this before.

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
yes i have, its upsidedown on the metal in the boot, near where the boot hinges are, when i take earth wire out, it buzzes ALOT more