Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 boxes or 1 big one?

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Hey guys,

Ok I have a ported sub box at the moment. The box doesn't fit in my boot nicely but I am happy with the results it provides.

I plan on building a new box this time to suit 2 subs. I was going to build 1 big box with a barrier down the middle thus making it two boxes with the same volume as my current box. Then just putting a port in each side with the same dimensions as my current port.

Is this the best way of doing it or should I be leaving it as one big box? How would this effect things?

Cheers

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
you can do it either way.

Personally i got for seperate chambers as if one of ur subs blows the other is still in the right size box.

If one did blow and they were in one big chamber it would be too big for the one working woofer.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ok so really there are no disadvantages/advantages to using a big chamber over 2 small chambers other than if one sub blows or I take one sub.

I am happy with the way things sound with my single sub box so I think I will go with 2 chambers each with the same capacity of my single box.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I have found a few disadvantages to one big box. Depending on size it could A) Not end up fitting in the boot ( I made this mistake, thought I measured it properly), B) would be bloody heavy and will make changing your tyre a lost cause.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Well regardless of being 1 chamber or 2 chambers it is still going to be a one big box just with a wall in the middle turning it into 2 boxes. So I will probably still have the problems you outlined but I will just have to measure a few more times first to be sure.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
If you're going to be making this box as one large box (with the divider internally) then dont bother with the divider.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ah holden boy, I was hoping you would catch wif of this thread. Have seen a few of your other posts and you really seem to know what you are talking about :)

The only reason I wanted to put the divider in was to keep each camber at the current capacity of my single box, thus keeping ports the same size and length etc.

Why would you leave the divider out, are there any advantages? If I do leave it out how does this effect the port size?

Cheers

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Theres no real major advantages using a common chamber box, just the obvious things like less work building it etc.
Some people will say that if the subs are receiving the same signal then dont bother with a divider, but if each sub is receiving a stereo signal (left and right respectively) then separate chambers are suitable.

You can just make each box the same volume as your current one, and use the same size / depth port too and it should work out fine.....but if you want more bass from this new box im sure a new design (inc port) would be louder. ;)

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Well I didn't build the box I have now, one of my mates built it and I bought it off of him. But I did a bit of math and from memory its internal capacity is about 62 liters (will have to double check that, its all saved on my old laptop at work) without taking into account displacement for the port and driver.

I would love to build a box that will get more bass from the system but don't know really where to start when calculating optimal capacity and tuning the port and what not. Any advice? I am sure if I built a sealed enclosure it would make life a hell of a lot easier but want to keep with ported for more SPL.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well first, what is the sub? Model number?

And do you want it specially shaped, or can you go with rectangle? And what dimensions are we working with? As in what are the dimension of the available boot space?