Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 hole mod question

neilsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 04
i have a vz sv6 04 commodore and was wondering what the benifit of the second whole is???
will i still get the same result if i replace the 90 degree one with a straight pipe and not cut the second whole??

wadevzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
2 Hole Mod

Hi Mate, do a search on the two hole mod. You need to buy the MCAI (Monaro Cold Air Induction) piece, and a couple of other items for it. It needs to be trimmed to fit around the coolant tower on the VZ. The snorkel is obviously removed leaving the 90mm hole drawing cold air from around the headlight area. The second hole is of benefit for extra airflow. I have seen people do a second 90mm hole, but i found the area a bit hard to do it, so i did a smaller i think 65mm hole and got some pipe from Mitre 10. I heated the end on the bbq, and put it over a frozen coke bottle and flared the ends. I then sprayed it black to match the airbox. It seemed to work well.

I used it until i got a VY Series 2 HSV airbox, and for the $40 or so it costs to do it is money very well spent.

neilsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 04
can i pick up the MCAI part up at holden if so would you no how much???
was thje hsv beneficiall would it be recomended to by that instead???

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I thought I read somewhere (maybe here) that the MCAI is only about $30-40 from Holden stealerships.

wadevzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
Monaro CAI
92102700 Seal - Air CLN $3
92102689 Hose - Air CLN $8 - $9
92096849 Duct - Air CLNR (shroud) $8 - $9

I brought the HSV airbox, VY Series 2, it has a large shute to the guard, because one became available for only $50. I popped the 90mm hole seal, and put the normal VZ intake pipe up to the normal spot. So it flows plenty of air. But I did find the MCAI to be a lot better than the standard setup.

wadevzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
To get a HSV airbox, you need to own a HSV or have the VIN details . I have a mate who is a spare parts manager at a major Holden Dealership. These things cost over $300, just for the base, so when I could get one on the LS1.com.au forum off a member for $50, I jumped at it. If you are a member of this forum, enquire if anyone would sell theirs. A lot of these guys have these sort of things in the garage, after going for the OTR (Over The Radiator) intake.

neilsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 04
I went to my local holden dealership and asked for the shroud that ever1 says and they didnt no wat i was talking about is the shroud the plastic cover that sits above the radiator and the around the water resevoir???
If so wat are ppl using to place around the 2 pipes to prvent air escaping to get better suction???

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
*facepalm*
It doesn't do anything. I've got a monaro airbox in my SS, it made 0% difference over the original one.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I went to my local holden dealership and asked for the shroud that ever1 says and they didnt no wat i was talking about is the shroud the plastic cover that sits above the radiator and the around the water resevoir???
If so wat are ppl using to place around the 2 pipes to prvent air escaping to get better suction???

The first thing you're talking about is the radiator shroud. Nothing to do with the airbox.

Any decent quality (high temp) silicone can be used for sealing around the two pipes in the airbox.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
*facepalm*
It doesn't do anything. I've got a monaro airbox in my SS, it made 0% difference over the original one.

That's funny because I picked up an extra 184rwkw when I did my 2 hole mod..................(along with a few other things......) :butt: