Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 outputs (head deck) 4 inputs(amp)

mad_dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
Hey guys, I have a 4 channel amp, but my head deck has only 2 RCA outputs, is it possible to connect the head deck to all 4 channels and not just 2.??

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
You will need to connect 4 inputs, to get 4 outputs. So you'll need some RCA splitters. You will need 2 splitters, so you will end up with 2 left, and 2 right inputs (at the moment you will only have 1 left, and 1 right). Then 2 sets of RCA leads, connect them to the 4 inputs on the amp, then your good to go.

mad_dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
Ok thanx for your help mate. ;-).

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
err... I dont understand why a splitter is needed? Doesn't 4 channel mean it can power 4 speakers? 2 fronts, 2 rears.. the RCA's will be; one for fronts, and one for rears.

I don't think any splitter is needed...

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Denno you're thinking pairs, he only has a single pair of outputs, so he needs 'Y' adapters/splitters. :)

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
I don't understand correctly either.... Doesn't he mean he has two outputs from headunit (a pair) going to amps input. The other two on the amp should be a pair of outputs to go to another amp (daisy chain). With a pair of inputs into amp he can run two pairs of speakers as it's a 4ch amp. Unless he is planning to run more then one amp then he'll need 'Y' splitters or just daisy chain amps.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I don't understand correctly either.... Doesn't he mean he has two outputs from headunit (a pair) going to amps input. The other two on the amp should be a pair of outputs to go to another amp (daisy chain). With a pair of inputs into amp he can run two pairs of speakers as it's a 4ch amp. Unless he is planning to run more then one amp then he'll need 'Y' splitters or just daisy chain amps.

4ch amps have 4 inputs (front/rear - left/right) If it only had 2 you wouldn't have fade and/or balance controls

As the headunit only has one pair of RCA's which are usually rear or sub output, if you plan to run front speakers you wont have fade controls if you use RCA splitters.

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
My mistake, I was thinking of mono amps for some reason, I forgot 4ch amps have two sets....
Won't it be easier just to buy another headunit that has more then one set of RCA's? Or saying that, in my brothers car he has a crossover junction box as he has the VE SV6 and the stereo is built in to dash. He has front and rear fade.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
My mistake, I was thinking of mono amps for some reason, I forgot 4ch amps have two sets....
Won't it be easier just to buy another headunit that has more then one set of RCA's?.

Then he would be spending $150 +, plus when all he needs to do is split this RCA lead, to get another 2 inputs. Unless OP has big plans for the stereo, with additional amplifiers, ect, then there's no need to upgrade his existing unit..:thumbsup: