Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 pack over acrylic?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
The 2k will crack I guarantee it.

If you use a sealer/adheasion promotor like scan seal, the acrylic or ename will be fine.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Panel beater spray painter (qualified 25 yrs in the game ) . You've learnt a lot in your six yrs Soop . Heres the FACTS . Acrylic is as Soop has mentioned , CRAP , it never hardens an moves all the time no matter how old it is , sure you can slap sum good old 2pac straight over it if you wish , but mark my words "it wont last !!" if u live in the snowy mountins you might get 6-10 yrs out of it , but if you live up here in good ol sunny QLD , like i do :spot on: ud be cracken , peelin , blistering in 5 yrs . 2pac is a chemical reaction once its hard , ITS HARD, nuthin will touch it , brake fluid , accetone , thinners ( an i dont give a damn wht type you use IT WONT TOUCH IT ) only two things will , battery acid (long term exposure ) and paint stripper ,well 3 , sand paper wont do it any good either . Number one rule DO NOT i repeat DO NOT put acrylic over 2pac , it wont stick it'll just peel off , period . If you are going to recoat with 2pac ( even over 2pac ) an you wanna pristine finish thats gunna last u a life time STRIP IT anything else is just PISSING in the wind ( otherwords you are wasting your time ) . Now for the record . The last of the holdens paint in the good ol AIR dry acrylics was the eary commodore VB-VH from then on in holden used Dulux Rapide , now for those of you who dont know it is actually an " Acrylic Urethane Enamel " thats right , three in one ( tricky stuff to i can tell you ) it ran a 10:1 ratio and didnt last long , they phased it out during the release of the VR , where they switched to full 2pac . And consiquently Dulux dropped it like a hot spud ( holden copped a stack of paint warranty claims ) oooohhhhh i could go on all day . But thats the facts fellas , thats why half u blokes with ya VK-VR's think ya rides are painted in acrylic or was that 2pac er hang on it may have been enamel :rofl2::rofl2:

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for that Jetboy.

Only thing I can add to that, Thinners will hurt fresh 2k paint.
I've had a dick head young kid kick a tin of thiners all over a fresh panel one day, it had been baked and out of the booth maybe an hour. It marked it, but we could buff it out.
Not cool at 4:45 on a Friday I can tell you.

Its good to have you around Jetboy, I know a little. But allot of the time I'm not 100% because everyone I've spoken to says something different regarding much of this.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Correct , 2pac , even baked , dosent reach full cure till about a week after spraying , until then it is very fragile , anyone who thinks any different should've done emselves a fovour and attended one of the very many seminars that were on at its release. . It is reccomeneded that you do not buff 2pac for a good two weeks . Worst thing about buffing it straight away ( especially dark colours ) is that you have to go over it 3-4 sumtimes even 5 to get the desired result , especially if you've knocked off a bit of scum ( an yes i dont care how flash ya booth is U WILL get scum ) if you dont do this in two weeks your rub marks WILL return ( yes even 2000 )....... . Give it a coupla weeks then slice an buff it ,see the difference , feel it , a lot less work and a superiour finish garunteed . And always "Perfect" and "Finesse" (3M products ) dark colours and C.O.B's using the correct pads and ensuring the car is spotless before hand and at each step , yep sure it'sa lot a work a damn lot , but the results wil have ya hands down the front of ya pants ......sleepin in the garage..............OHHHHHH im dreading water based , whole new ball game .Word is u get one crack an one crack only , apparently you CANT buff it , any u F#@K it up you've goto strip it of an start allover again it cant be recoated straight up . Seminars are pending

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
I completely agree with the buffing bit. I hated do that with a passion because my ex boss was a twit. Wanted black cars buffed in an hour and then he'd go over it with a fine tooth comb, came close to telling him to go f*ck himself so many times because of that.

I've used water born paint. I used it for the first time at trade school a few years ago when a PPG rep brough around they're proto type stuff. It was basically like using normal 2k, but the metalic C.O.B was very very opaque, Took allot to cover out and mottled like acrylic monometalic (or what ever its called). The new stuff I used earlier in the year was almost exactly like normal 2k paint.
The clear applied ALOT easier even. It just flattens its self off and flashes off in what seemed like 30seconds. The base coat really does flash off as fast as you can spray it.

Didn't have any issues with it frying up either.
You can Buff the PPG stuff too. Just as you would normal solvent based paints.

As for **** in the paint. That totally comes down to the painter. We had one bloke who would be for ever getting **** in the paint. All the time.
The other painter barely ever did. In the same booth so you tell me. I could tell who painted what just by how much **** was in it. Being that I had to cut and buff every bloody thing I quicly got sick of one of them.

I'm fairly anal with things, so when given the time I can get panels 99% clean.
One thing I hate about the smash industry is the expectation that the job will be better then factory but done in 20mins. Its bullshit.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Oh so the water shits came along a bit then . i have snubbed my nose at the industry for the exact reasons you've pointed out , insurance companys are theives an panel shop bosses are slave drivers who forget wht its like to work on the floor F@#K em all . I've been boilermaking for 7-8 yrs now , best thing i ever done , the work is easy , the moneys great ( near twice that of the poor ol smashman ) . Prior to pulling the pin I had my own shop with 4-5 workers , just had enough . An yeah u are right sum painters are just pigs totally agree , but go into a dealership an cast ur trained eye over sum the **** paint jobs they tryin to pass off on new cars , me an me cuz got kicked outta one cause we where "**** PICKEN" , an them blokes got the best booths money can buy .

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah the best booths but they won't employ tradesmen!!
They have one tradesman at most places and half a dozen T.A's.

I've left the industry now, not entirely my own choice (Had a car accident, now I've a slight disability) trying to get my own show going though.

For anyone wondering, award wage for a fully qualified spray painter is something like $20-22. And you don't really get to bargain with that most times. Compare that with the award wage for a casual **** kicker at target over the age of 21 which is $20 and you tell me...

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Yep an they wunder why they are strugglin to get tradies in this country , why would u go through all the bullshit to earn no more , if as much , as the snotty nosed little prick behind the register at woolies . This country has SHOT it self in the foot...

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
A signwriters award is 20$ and with the **** I do, welding, auto painting(2k included) engineering, plumbing and all legal electrical jobs, I reckon we need the award raised!!