Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 pack over acrylic?

Discussion in 'Spray Painting and Panel Beating' started by VN_Luke, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Ssambo

Ssambo New Member

Members Ride:
    VY 3.8 Sedan, VY 3.8 Wagon, VY SS 5.7 Sedan
    I guess it's a little different here in NZ thanks to the weather.... When I was panelbeating/painting full time we had no issues with putting 2k over old lacquer paint finishes. Obviously putting 2k clear over a fresh lacquer base was always a big no-no because the evaporating thinner in the lacquer would lift the 2k clear in no time...! I guess because our temps don't get up near what yours do, then the lacquer under the 2k never mis-behaved and caused us any problems. Interesting conversation for sure. I still use lacquer as a top coat on my paint jobs, I know it's not as hard wearing as 2k etc, but I don't have access to a booth anymore and I find it really hard to see what i'm doing when applying the clear because I have no extraction system in my garage and the mist makes it too hard to see what i'm doing within a very short time...! Also, I can get a nice deep, flat, mirror finish with with my lacquer clear after many hours of wetsanding and polishing. I always prime with 2K primer and dry sand and re-prime my repairs to stop shrinkage, which works a treat every time. Lacquer primer is just awful and I will never use it again. Anyway, new to the forum and always looking to keep my hand in the panel and paint game, so i'll be following you fella's posts/tips and advice closely! ;) Cheers!

2. Baldoldfart

Baldoldfart New Member

Members Ride:
    VY
    Old thread but still relevant. I left the motor trade (panel beater) in 1980, wages haven't gone up much since. The only car folks who seem to appreciate good work are the classic car people, they will pay good rates for good work. Admitedly cutting rust out of a 1959 VW is dirty work but if you get double or triple the money than working for bloody insurance companies it's easy to put up with. I'm getting to the stage of winding down from another industry, after I finish all the projects I have in the shed I might go back to doen a bit of panel beating on classic stuff.