Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 post hoist

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
well i picked up my hoist yesterday
they quoted $1100 for delivery and install excluding electrical
this is one seriously heavy piece of kit
at a guess i would say all up around 1000kg, i was hoping there was a weight listed somewhere, but havent found one, the tyres on the poor trailer certainly bulged out
in hindsight maybe i should have paid the extra, but the hoist was already over my budget
forget the youtube video where two guys stand up the posts, no way
each post must weigh 200kg without the upper extension piece bolted on
just need to epoxy my floor before assembling the hoist

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
started assembly today
standard height is now the low position
the instructions say move balance cable to low position on carriage
for high install
as if it was that easy
the cable mounts inside the carriage
with a torch you can see it, no way can you get any tools on it
after a lot of head scratching , figured it out
for anybody searching in the future
whilst posts are laying down
undo allen key bolt from top of lift cylinder
move carriage "upwards" about 30cm
grab the balance cable and feed it "upwards", it is not actually attached to the carriage
undo nuts from cable threaded end
pull cable "downwards" through high mount and middle mount, until it is still in the bottom mount and then feed "upwards" again, without going through mounting holes. refit the nuts and tighten
whilst keeping tension on the slack excess cable. push the carriage back down
after standing the posts, use a pry bar to lift the carriage 10mm - 15mm
then relocate the cylinder nipple in the mounting hole, and start allen bolt to top of lift cylinder
remove prybar and tighten allen bolt
thats where i am today

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I feel that this project has all been done a dusted now, but for other potential purchasers there are Molnar Hoists being taken out of failed automotive businesses and being auctioned off by liquidators on a very regular basis over here in Adelaide. Generally these hoists fetch between $1200 and $2000 at auction and are removed within a couple of hours.

One thing that is a absolute requirement is the concrete that they are attached to must be at least 8 inches thick if my memory serves me correctly but I'd personally go double that in the immediate area under and between the two columns as a mate of mine did with his.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I feel that this project has all been done a dusted now, but for other potential purchasers there are Molnar Hoists being taken out of failed automotive businesses and being auctioned off by liquidators on a very regular basis over here in Adelaide. Generally these hoists fetch between $1200 and $2000 at auction and are removed within a couple of hours.

One thing that is a absolute requirement is the concrete that they are attached to must be at least 8 inches thick if my memory serves me correctly but I'd personally go double that in the immediate area under and between the two columns as a mate of mine did with his.

When I was looking at Molnar hoists, they required 6” of concrete, that is 150mm. You can’t be serious about having a 400mm pad below a hoist if you ever installed one, surely.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
i figured i had better post an update, unfortunately still not up and running
to vslover, molnar hoists specify concrete must be minimum 100mm, reccommended is 125mm
ok, definitely pay for the install
not that it is overly difficult, just most of the instructions are useless
hit rebar in 3 mounting holes, but of course, just a glancing hit not square on so cannot use a standard steel drill bit, needed a rebar cutter drill bit, special order from germany, only $80 though
i would be watching installer at this point, easy just to use a shorter dynabolt and you would never know
as previous, new hoist comes in lowered height as standard
this word standard changes its definition depending on the date and the page in the manual
there are two mounting points for the motor/pump, the motor/pump remains the same distance to the control box
so if hoist in lowered position use top mount. if hoist in high position use lower mount
this also affects the hose length, comes with a couple of short extension pieces, trial and error to get correct length
hose from pump to hydraulic line t-piece could use being an inch longer
limit switches have 2 different length harnesses, the longer harness goes to the top rail cutoff switch
also specifies 12L hydraulic oil. this includes the hoses and cylinders in collapsed height
figured i would use 10L and then top up once running, took 9L and then overflowed all over control box
finally got the electrician out
to find the chinese motor is running backwards, no easy wiring change inside, so waiting on molnar to figure out what to do
anyway, courier just delivered rebar cutter so off to drill my remaining holes

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
6 month update
molnar replaced the motor/pump unit after a couple of weeks
new unit bolted in and all working
life is so much easier
especially auto trans service
done a few services on family cars
highly recommend getting a hoist if you can

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Is it a three phase or singe phase motor? I had a chance on one at an auction but it was 3 phase and being on stand alone solar it was going to be quite a hassle.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
240v hoist 20A circuit