Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 stroke mix

Mattimus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
Didn't really know where abouts to ask this question, thought the pub was a broad enough forum to chuck it in.

So we have this medieval lawn mower, dates back before Jesus was born and it still runs fine so there's no point getting rid of it any time soon. The thing runs on a 50:1 mix if unleaded to 2 stroke oil.
We recently bought a new 2 stroke whipper snipper which says it is meant to run on 40:1.

Is the difference between 50:1 and 40:1 really that much? is it worth mixing 2 separate batches (we have a jerry can filled with 50:1 at all times) or will the whipper snipper survive healthily off 50:1?

Cheers guys

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It won't really hurt to run the mower on 40:1, it will just blow a bit of smoke and maybe foul the plug up occasionally. I wouldn't run the whipper snipper on 50:1 though, too much oil is better than not enough.

no-doof

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
It depends on what sort of oil you are using as well. Some garage brand oils which are mineral based require more. Most major small engine manufacturers such as Shindaiwa/Stihl etc have their own semi synthetic oils which are much better quality and therefore you can use less.

As a general rule I always tell people to run 150mL for a 5L container. Works out at 30mL per L.

Pretty much all your small engines, mowers/chainsaws/snippers are fine with this. :)

Getting so many mowers in for repair that have gone swimming at the moment in the floods!

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
It won't really hurt to run the mower on 40:1, it will just blow a bit of smoke and maybe foul the plug up occasionally. I wouldn't run the whipper snipper on 50:1 though, too much oil is better than not enough.

^^^this^^^

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if it was an outboard or a dirtbike worth lots of miney ide say only use the correct mix due to mixtures leaning out with more oil in the fuel but for your average lawn equipment its not as important

Mattimus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
Cheers for all that guys, might just mix up a batch of 40:1 save the hassle of having to mix multiple ones haha I'm lazy. And to be honest I wouldn't mind that much if the lawn mower carked it, it's old as the hills and while it still runs, it's a bitch to get started sometimes and runs kinda rough.. Give me an excuse to get a new one haha.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
there is little difference between 40-1 and 50-1. would not worry. if your concerned. when the motor is warm, watch the exhaust. there should always be a fine smoke coming out. clearly too much smoke, is to much oil. no smoke is not enough oil.
another way to tell is to check the plug after you use it. if its 'dry' and looks like its been burnt or discoloured. not enough oil