Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20” by 10 with 275/30/20 all around is it possible? Please do help

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It doesn't need to be engineered and signed off...

Really, if one has a printer than can handle quality stickers, in theory they should be able to print their own and fix them to the windscreem ;)
Its possibly a service to sell to your customers who have odd high speed tyres that are hard to get but something slower and otherwise identical is readily available :p

( and as i said, load ratings are a different kettle of fish )

Technically lowering the speed rating would have to be signed off by an engineer....You are changing something the car was engineered for in a safety feature, for something not as safe....

The main reason people attempt the lower speed rated tyre, along with the lower load rating is, the all mighty dollar....Sales people will bulldust to the owners to grab the cash from their wallet, as shown by CHE.....And unfortunately, if you are unaware, which a lot of people are, you get taken for that ride....

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Technically lowering the speed rating would have to be signed off by an engineer....You are changing something the car was engineered for in a safety feature, for something not as safe....

If you search tyres for a VF SSV Redline on Bob Jane's site, RE003's are listed as an option with a W speed rating not Y as the tyre placard stipulates.

You'd think a business the size and experience of like Bob Jane's, wouldn't make a fundamental error recommending tyres of a lower or non-compliant speed rating unless there's something regulation wise that allows it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you search tyres for a VF SSV Redline on Bob Jane's site, RE003's are listed as an option with a W speed rating not Y as the tyre placard stipulates.

You'd think a business the size and experience of like Bob Jane's, wouldn't make a fundamental error recommending tyres of a lower or non-compliant speed rating unless there's something regulation wise that allows it.

I can only go by the laws I know about and that is, replacement tyres must be the same or higher speed and load rating that is on the placard....Why Bob Jane has that I have no idea other than a twit at the helm of the company..And yes Rodney is a twit

Last edited:

Che Chemob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Wagon
So you being the expert, what is the load rating for 20 inch tyres?

You do know that the specs of your tyres determine the rating?

Plus your rear tyre doesn't meet any of those ratings anyway.

All good mate, I’m no way near the expert you claim to be, however you keep changing the rules and numbers and I think you are just angry and inconsistent. In reality I’ve never ever had a cop pull me over cause my tyre load rating is 20kg off, nor have I had an insurance company withholding a payout pending a tyre load rating inspection. Let’s get real.
This is definitely important for heavy vehicles but I think your passion has taken this a little out of perspective, especially from someone who use’s wheel spacers which I think are a million times more dangerous.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
All good mate, I’m no way near the expert you claim to be, however you keep changing the rules and numbers and I think you are just angry and inconsistent. In reality I’ve never ever had a cop pull me over cause my tyre load rating is 20kg off, nor have I had an insurance company withholding a payout pending a tyre load rating inspection. Let’s get real.
This is definitely important for heavy vehicles but I think your passion has taken this a little out of perspective, especially from someone who use’s wheel spacers which I think are a million times more dangerous.

You may have confused me with someone else plus I'm much too old to be bothered with being angry about anything.

My questions have always been about how do you get your combo to fit and that is only where my interest lays in this conversation, I've only ever said your tyres don't meet the rating requirements, at no time have I lectured you on cops or insurance companies and why would I when I have mods to my cars that don't meet legislation requirements.

As far the wheel spacers go I have no idea where you came up with that as I certainly don't have them on my Ute but bringing up spacers is a whole new can of worms as manufacturers like Porsche and Mercedes-Benz use them on some of their cars straight from the factory without problems.

They are also legal in many countries just not here and yet if they are hub centric they don't pose any problems and are considered very safe.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Technically lowering the speed rating would have to be signed off by an engineer....
Quick Google search “tyre modification guidelines” yields the following

Tyre speed ratings​
The speed rating of tyres fitted should be equal to or higher than the rating of the original tyres fitted by the vehicle manufacturer. However:​
  • If the speed rating of the tyres specified for your vehicle is higher than 180 km/h, you may fit tyres with a lower speed rating, but not lower than the vehicle’s top speed
  • If the replacement tyres fitted have a speed rating less than that shown on the vehicle’s tyre placard, it is recommended that a warning label be affixed to the vehicle as shown in Figure 3. Usually, the tyre dealer attaches the label.
Figure 3…​

The label should be:​
  • At least 40 mm x 40 mm in size, made of durable material, with not less than 2 mm high black lettering on an orange coloured background
  • Located in an area conspicuous to the driver. This is usually on the inside of the windscreen, outside of the primary vision area. The primary vision section of the screen is the area the driver normally looks through when driving the vehicle.

So at-least in NSW that should answer the question whether an engineer needs to sign anything off as it’s not stated as required. In fact it’s only recommended a type shop adds label :p:p:p

The only real question is what is the top speed of a VF2 LS3? If it’s 240kph, tyres must be V rated as a minimum or if 260kph tyres must be W rated as a minimum which are both less that the Y specified for 20” tyres on the tyre placard… I don’t know the top speed and where it’s documented (not in RVD and rego authorities don’t have it publicly available)… but Bob Jane thinks it’s 260kph… If police asked me what the top speed is I’d say the posted speed limit :p:p:p

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
In reality I’ve never ever had a cop pull me over cause my tyre load rating is 20kg off, nor have I had an insurance company withholding a payout pending a tyre load rating inspection. Let’s get real.
I've never been killed in a car crash either, but I've learned over the years to try and minimise the potential of that happening. I've had work orders for illegal mods and changed engine's a few times to get work orders off and lost count of how many times I've had to swap exhaust systems and suspension back to stock on my own cars and customers cars by going overboard and too aggressive on the mods and attracting unwanted attention. To avoid unnecessary dramas, I've learned over the years to keep mods on the "maybe almost legal" side of the aggression spectrum.

Although we share 295 width rubber on the back of our cars, you're combo in SA won't pass a rego inspection or avoid a work order and my combo will is the reality of it. If a kid runs out in front of you, knock them over and they die, that's when they go through your car in SA looking for a reason to lay charges for contributing to a pedestrian's death and illegal mods will potentially land you in jail or best case scenario, 100k spent on lawyers.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

No inspections will be requested having the tyres fitted, until a claim is warranted....This is when insurance companies pick up on these things and use them to deny a claim. The same thing applies if you are required to go for a full inspection....A transport authority person picks it up, they will fail you...

My personal opinion is it shouldn't really matter unless you intend to carry a load with the car....However my opinion and the law are 2 totally different things...

BTW, the one that appeared angry was you, claiming to be an expert saying the tyres on your car were legal...Even showing your placard showed that they were under rated even with it being the wrong placard for the wheel diametre...Others posted up the correct placard and again, showed the load rating was wrong....

Me, I said 25 years in the game I said I knew what I was talking about.....Still didn't claim to be an expert, but certainly knew a little more than you did....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Quick Google search “tyre modification guidelines” yields the following

Tyre speed ratings​
The speed rating of tyres fitted should be equal to or higher than the rating of the original tyres fitted by the vehicle manufacturer. However:​
  • If the speed rating of the tyres specified for your vehicle is higher than 180 km/h, you may fit tyres with a lower speed rating, but not lower than the vehicle’s top speed
  • If the replacement tyres fitted have a speed rating less than that shown on the vehicle’s tyre placard, it is recommended that a warning label be affixed to the vehicle as shown in Figure 3. Usually, the tyre dealer attaches the label.
Figure 3…​

The label should be:​
  • At least 40 mm x 40 mm in size, made of durable material, with not less than 2 mm high black lettering on an orange coloured background
  • Located in an area conspicuous to the driver. This is usually on the inside of the windscreen, outside of the primary vision area. The primary vision section of the screen is the area the driver normally looks through when driving the vehicle.

So at-least in NSW that should answer the question whether an engineer needs to sign anything off as it’s not stated as required. In fact it’s only recommended a type shop adds label :p:p:p

The only real question is what is the top speed of a VF2 LS3? If it’s 240kph, tyres must be V rated as a minimum or if 260kph tyres must be W rated as a minimum which are both less that the Y specified for 20” tyres on the tyre placard… I don’t know the top speed and where it’s documented (not in RVD and rego authorities don’t have it publicly available)… but Bob Jane thinks it’s 260kph… If police asked me what the top speed is I’d say the posted speed limit :p:p:p

I have never ever seen these labels...Tyre fitament laws are an Australian/New Zealand wide thing.....This is easily to prove by checking out the placard....It says, it complies with AU/NZ design rule "xyz wheel barrow"

Then you have the issue of actually knowing every single cars top speed....You have already mentioned, you don't know where it would be documented...So how would a tyre joint know where to look to make sure they fitted the correct tyres that complied with the laws relating to them being of the correct speed rating?

Me personally would agree, speed limit of the vehicle shouldn't really come into play with the speed rating of a tyre being fitted, as our maximum speed limit is 130 KPH in NT (I think)....However I don't make the rules....I just follow them....And when it comes to insurance companies, they will try for anything to deny a claim....Same applies with an inspection.....The inspectors will use anything to deny a pass....This is one thing to deny it

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've never been killed in a car crash either, but I've learned over the years to try and minimise the potential of that happening. I've had work orders for illegal mods and changed engine's a few times to get work orders off and lost count of how many times I've had to swap exhaust systems and suspension back to stock on my own cars and customers cars by going overboard and too aggressive on the mods and attracting unwanted attention. To avoid unnecessary dramas, I've learned over the years to keep mods on the "maybe almost legal" side of the aggression spectrum.

Although we share 295 width rubber on the back of our cars, you're combo in SA won't pass a rego inspection or avoid a work order and my combo will is the reality of it. If a kid runs out in front of you, knock them over and they die, that's when they go through your car in SA looking for a reason to lay charges for contributing to a pedestrian's death and illegal mods will potentially land you in jail or best case scenario, 100k spent on lawyers.

Tyre fitament laws are uniform throughout Australia and New Zealand....This is shown by it saying it complies with Aus/NZ design rule "xyz wheel barrow"....

It also helps when it comes to people that travel throughout this country...They stuff a tyre/s, or they need replacing they can go into any tyre shop and should be confident that they will fit the correct tyre/s to keep the car roadworthy in that area....

So with the op, it wouldn't matter what state he was in....If he had this mishap you mention, he would be answering a fair few different questions, with a lawyer beside him, especially in relation to tyre fitament and why it is the way it is:)