Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20” rims Tyre profile

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Hi all, I’ve bought a set of HF-20 Wheels that came with 245-35-20 tyres and put on the car replacing the stock 18” vf ss s2 wheels and it’s a lot ruffer ride also you can hear the bump stops now :/
What is the biggest profile I can put on these rims and car & would it improve ride quality?

Note: the car is stock

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Yes it would but it will throw your speedo out. I made exactly the same change a month ago, thats low profiles for ya.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If you're a young bloke & the tyres look any bigger than standard, you'll be cop-bait, too. 'Taint legal (without engineering) to fit rolling-diameter wheels+tyres that're different by more than a few percent from standard.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Not sure how going to this tyre profile will equate to hearing the bump stops.

I have the same size on my VE and there is no such noise.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
If you're a young bloke & the tyres look any bigger than standard, you'll be cop-bait, too. 'Taint legal (without engineering) to fit rolling-diameter wheels+tyres that're different by more than a few percent from standard.
What if your old but look young? Black wheels, maloo exhaust, maybe lowered and led headlights I wont last long

Also one thing I found strange is went from stock 050s R18 to 245/35/R20 and noticed a decent increase in ride height like 30mm probably. literally went from scraping my bumper on most parking strips to not. didnt think the change in sidewall flex would be this much.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi all, I’ve bought a set of HF-20 Wheels that came with 245-35-20 tyres and put on the car replacing the stock 18” vf ss s2 wheels and it’s a lot ruffer ride also you can hear the bump stops now :/
What is the biggest profile I can put on these rims and car & would it improve ride quality?

Note: the car is stock

The 18 inch wheels you currently have fitted....Upping the rim size, decreases the sidewall profile, to keep the rolling radius correct (ie speedo) which in turn reduces the ride quality....

So either put up with the reduced ride quality, or don't put the wheels on

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

And these are a factory fitted optioned size, which means it is perfectly legal to fit them without any engineering certificate

As for cop bail.....I've seen VE's with 18" wheels fitted, and the cops have been attracted to those cars....So can't really comment there

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
And these are a factory fitted optioned size, which means it is perfectly legal to fit them without any engineering certificate

I think @Forg was speaking to OP's question about putting a tyre with a profile higher than 35 on the 20" rim.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Indeed, ‘twas a question in the first post.

Wonder if the suspension needs repairs, though, if fitting a factory wheel/tyre size makes it hit the bump-stops - I presume on FE2 (mebbe it’s been modded?).

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Ive got hf20s on a stock ssvr, and i dont find it rough in the slightest (spongey infact),
but my previous car was a ve ssv on coilovers.. so i may be tainted.

As Forg said sounds like their could be some other issue here. If the car is stock i cant see it being bump stops..
but maybe strut top bushes, or the shocks themselves? How many KMs on the car?
Id be getting the suspension looked at before blaming the wheels.
Changing wheels shouldnt suddenly cause the suspension to crash into bump stops.