Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20" Baretta wheels on VF II

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The dealer removed factory 20" wheels from my car and then obviously put standard ss black 18" wheels on my car...
The car was on the lot with 18's and thats how i bought it. Tyre placard and vin check later on revealed that the factory fitted 20" wheels on it...

All the more reason to grab something like these ........https://www.ebay.com.au/p/2081926691

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Firstly, who gives a toss the ramifications of what Holden called their wheels, that Ron's referring to.....If it's an issue, let the owner of the trademark take it up with Holden..

2ndly...20" wheels will have a slightly harsher ride, due to the lack of sidewall give, that a 20" tyre will provide.

A 20" tyre will be slightly more expensive, because the demand isn't as great for these, as a 18" tyre has....From memory, 19" tyres are about the same price as the 20", due to demand.

I understand the frustration of having staggered rims fitted and how little you can do.....My suggestion would be, try and find a 18" decent rim that you like, that can be fitted front and rear, so you are able to rotate them and provide a comfortable ride....Maybe do some trade with the staggered rims you have, or just buy outright....

As for what was fitted from the factory....Maybe in 30 years, someone will want the car "factory original", when purchasing, but honestly these days, not having the original wheels on the car when selling/purchasing, only appeals to the minority of car buyers....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The owners of Beretta obviously choose not to take action (or don’t even know about it) as the first principle for a manufacturing company is to protect your brands at all costs and cross-brand names are usually targeted for that reason alone or maybe the Italians aren’t so easily frightened by a fly-by-night company.
Yep, agreed that companies protect their brand or trademark. But such desirs can't cross into different industry segments. Again, Corn flakes are a branded and most certainly trademark protected breakfast cerea but that doesn't mean that a company selling flakes used to embed in epoxy floor coatings can't call their flakes corn flakes. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Ron as figjam posted earlier, if the car has a tag or is documented as coming from the factory with those rims then I’d at least have a set of them in my garage for when it comes time to sell.

OEM gear increases desirability and as time goes on it’ll become harder to source a set.

I keep all my OEM rims and no matter how good you think your car looks with aftermarket rims and tyres you’d be surprise how many buyers ask if you have the original rims as well.
Ron's rims are genuine OEM and not some aftermarket addition. However, I take your point that having what was factory installed (optioned) would be more desirable in future.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I am keen to change the rims as the price for tyres between 19's and 20's is negligible, I will be able to rotate tyres and it's what the car left the factory with.

I did some check load rating difference and it's not an issue for me.
95 load rating gives me 690kg per tyre or 2700kg combined which i would never even come close to anyway.

My rear tyres are already 35 (275/35/19) so I dont expect significant difference in ride quality.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Ron's rims are genuine OEM and not some aftermarket addition. However, I take your point that having what was factory installed (optioned) would be more desirable in future.
I may have badly worded it as I wasn't talking about Ron's car having aftermarket rims, I was talking in general that a seller who has a nice set of rims will often still be asked about the originals.

Firstly, who gives a toss the ramifications of what Holden called their wheels, that Ron's referring to.....If it's an issue, let the owner of the trademark take it up with Holden..

Touchy, just members bantering back and forth about a comment in a post.

As for what was fitted from the factory....Maybe in 30 years, someone will want the car "factory original", when purchasing, but honestly these days, not having the original wheels on the car when selling/purchasing, only appeals to the minority of car buyers....

Maybe I just buy then sell too many cars I've modified but I've been asked the question many, many times.

It may not matter with a run of the mill family cruiser but try and sell a HSV new or old without it's OEM rims and see the response you'll get.

The same goes for other makes and models that have more than just an A to B appeal.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
19" rims/tyres were never offered so its considered an allowable mod as far as the registration mob are concerned.
In NSW, at least, the wheel diameter is irrelevant & what matters is the overall rolling-diameter of the tyre plus the width of the wheel. Even if the 20’s hadn’t been an option, the fact that HSV’s are considered the same chassis means that whatever maximum widths they ran is considered the max ‘standard’ width, then you’re allowed an extra inch of rim width (assuming no rubbing nor offset change nor do the wheels or tyres protrude from under the guards).