Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20" Baretta wheels on VF II

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hi guys

My car was fitted with 20" Baretta wheels from the factory.

The dealer sold it to me with 18" wheels.
I currently have 19" staggered redline wheels on it.

I want to be able to rotate the wheels so thinking of sourcing Baretta 20" wheels.

Any drawbacks with 20" wheels in terms of comfort, load rating and tyre price ?

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
I think the ride isn’t too different at all. It depends if you get cheap nasty tyres or not.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
20” tyres will be more expensive than 18” tyres.
20” wheels with low profile tyres will be harsher than 18” wheels with the same rolling diameter.
20” wheels are easier to damage via gutters and potholes.

And if your not running staggered wheels, then you can rotate your wheels to improve tyre life.

Aesthetics aside, 18” wheels will allow lower TCO or allow you to buy better quality rubber if your spend is similar to what 20” tyres would cost you.

Possibly, quality 18” rubber will perform better on a daily basis than sh!t 20” rubber :rolleyes:
19” wheels probably sit somewhere between the 18’s and 20’s :cool:

Also, the smaller the wheel, the more efficient it is but the big wheel trend has been driven by aesthetics ;)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If the 20" Beretta wheels were standard, I recommend getting a set for 'originality', even if they sit in your shed.
I got the dealer to swap my Monaro 18"s for 17"s when I bought it, because as a daily, I considered them unsuitable.
Now, I wish that I had kept them for 'originality', and it now has CV8R 18"s on it because it is not used as a daily.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If the 20" Beretta wheels were standard, I recommend getting a set for 'originality', even if they sit in your shed.
I got the dealer to swap my Monaro 18"s for 17"s when I bought it, because as a daily, I considered them unsuitable.
Now, I wish that I had kept them for 'originality', and it now has CV8R 18"s on it because it is not used as a daily.

They are my thoughts. Wanna keep it as close as possible to original...
Soooo no non-reversible mods :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Warning - pointless rant follows.

WTF?! Why did HSV call them Baretta when there is already a very well known worldwide brand that's called Beretta?!?!
Either come up with something original or get approval from the manufacturer of the brand you're referencing, FFS!!

/Rant.

Those Barettas are somewhat pricey new, aren't they? Maybe have a look at what the cost of tyres for them is, if you're a lover of Good Tyre the difference may not be something worth worrying about (having just bought a pair of the Michelin PS4S's I seem to recall that they weren't enough more expensive in 20" over 19" that it would bother me). There's undoubtedly an NVH downside, it'd kinda be good if there were some way to experience that before committing to a few grand's worth of wheels & tyres … wonder if you could find someone with FE2 & 20's off this forum to give you a bit of a ride & see what you thought about that NVH difference?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Warning - pointless rant follows.

WTF?! Why did HSV call them Baretta when there is already a very well known worldwide brand that's called Beretta?!?!
Either come up with something original or get approval from the manufacturer of the brand you're referencing, FFS!!

/Rant.
Beretta is a company brand selling firearms.

Trademark allows use of a term/name in another market segments where the trademark holder is not operating within. So one could use the exact same term for a wheel rim model name or indeed a company name for a business making wheels...

There is no need to get the firearm maker‘s permission, Beretta, to make wheels called Baretta, Beretta or such. Restrictions only apply if market confusion would be caused between manufacturers/products in the same market segment...

Now if the baretta wheels were advertised as ‘gun wheels’, that would be a problem ;)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
In that case ... if they want association with Beretta, call it Beretta … if they don't, call it Bob or something … but don't crave that association & then change one letter which doesn't even change the pronunciation of the word. :)