Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20" Baretta wheels on VF II

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Beretta is a company brand selling firearms.

Trademark allows use of a term/name in another market segments where the trademark holder is not operating within. So one could use the exact same term for a wheel rim model name or indeed a company name for a business making wheels...

There is no need to get the firearm maker‘s permission, Beretta, to make wheels called Baretta, Beretta or such. Restrictions only apply if market confusion would be caused between manufacturers/products in the same market segment...

Now if the baretta wheels were advertised as ‘gun wheels’, that would be a problem ;)

So I could sell gummy bears here as Microsoft?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So I could sell gummy bears here as Microsoft?
If the “gummy bears” you sell are a type of bean bag you sit in, then yes.

If your “gummy bears” are a type of food, especially a type of confectionary, regardless of your company name, you’d be found to be infringing a trademark.

If your company named “Microsoft” deals in any software or software related business, then confusion would ensue as to who is who and you’d be in trouble. But if you only deal in soft bean bags, then you’d be ok.

But the real issue is that if you are a small business, the big boys with no legal basis for a trademark infringement case can still bankrupt you into submission purely based on the depth of their pockets.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
If the “gummy bears” you sell are a type of bean bag you sit in, then yes.

If your “gummy bears” are a type of food, especially a type of confectionary, regardless of your company name, you’d be found to be infringing a trademark.

If your company named “Microsoft” deals in any software or software related business, then confusion would ensue as to who is who and you’d be in trouble. But if you only deal in soft bean bags, then you’d be ok.

But the real issue is that if you are a small business, the big boys with no legal basis for a trademark infringement case can still bankrupt you into submission purely based on the depth of their pockets.

But these are really small and soft gummy bears.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ and comfortable to sit on after a trademark reaming ;)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
^ and comfortable to sit on after a trademark reaming ;)

The owners of Beretta obviously choose not to take action (or don’t even know about it) as the first principle for a manufacturing company is to protect your brands at all costs and cross-brand names are usually targeted for that reason alone or maybe the Italians aren’t so easily frightened by a fly-by-night company.

Ron as figjam posted earlier, if the car has a tag or is documented as coming from the factory with those rims then I’d at least have a set of them in my garage for when it comes time to sell.

OEM gear increases desirability and as time goes on it’ll become harder to source a set.

I keep all my OEM rims and no matter how good you think your car looks with aftermarket rims and tyres you’d be surprise how many buyers ask if you have the original rims as well.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
No offence , but my guess is they sold you an un original SS Black by exchanging wheels off another car that that buyer had made a deal for some different mags , then they put them on your car as a selling point .

EDIT : I just saw a pic S1 wagon that appeared to have them on , so they mighta come with them

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
No offence , but my guess is they sold you an un original SS Black by exchanging wheels off another car that that buyer had made a deal for some different mags , then they put them on your car as a selling point .

Dont understand what are you trying say...

The dealer removed factory 20" wheels from my car and then obviously put standard ss black 18" wheels on my car...
The car was on the lot with 18's and thats how i bought it. Tyre placard and vin check later on revealed that the factory fitted 20" wheels on it...

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Dont understand what are you trying say...

The dealer removed factory 20" wheels from my car and then obviously put standard ss black 18" wheels on my car...
The car was on the lot with 18's and thats how i bought it. Tyre placard and vin check later on revealed that the factory fitted 20" wheels on it...
Sorry my bad I didn't realise that they were optioned for that model

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF II SS black edition - sedan
The Road Vehicle Descriptor has interesting info related to your car.

SS Black is variant 2 according to the above RVD, as such it has:
18 x 8 rims with 245/45R18 100V tyres as standard both front and back.
20 x 8.5 rims with 245/35 R20 95Y tyres were optional on both front and back.

19" rims/tyres were never offered so its considered an allowable mod as far as the registration mob are concerned.

I find it annoying that, these days, the tyre placard doesn't even specify standard and optional wheels/tyres combos... And why the rego docs list only the optional tyres is anyones guess...