Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20' BBOSS on a VS....Can i get engineered?

Bzerk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Ive got 20s on my VS Calais and I know the rolling circumference is too big so they wont pass rego BUT someone said if i take it to the right place i can get a engineers certificate and then i can legally have em... Is this bullshit?

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
mmm wish i could help, but im on a similar boat to u, i have saved the money and im looking into buying rims soon ( i want 20's) on my vy

i here so many different sides to this story,
half the people i talk to tell me i can get it engeneered and it wil all be sweet,
but then the other half are telling me they still wont pass rego, also that if coppas really want to defect you, they will regardless of engeneering

owell aint gonna stop me lol hopefully

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
this is by no way a fix, but on ebay you can get holden tyre pressure cards, that go on the inside of your door jam or engine bay, that say hsv and have the recomended inflation settings for 19/20 inch wheels not 15/16 inch wheels, mite help if you have a dumb coppa or something?
cheers

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
and might see you coping an extra fine for fraud or something if you get a smart one....

Bzerk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
I'm gunna ring around 2moz and find out for sure and then ill post the results.. Ive got a feeling they cant b engineered..........

Bzerk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Changing the tyre plate sounds like a good idea.... but the cops in Canberra are pretty bloody cluey and knowing my luck id end up losing my licence....AGAIN

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE
Fairly sure anything is going to be legal if its engineered with proof so you should be right...being easy on the wallet is another thing :p
E.g. my mate got defected for his cannon on his ricer **** box and to get it engineered he was quoted thereabouts of $500 (wtf would you need to do to engineer a cannon is beyond me if its been put on properly)...
I dunno whether it depends on the place or the type of thing on the car being engineered though, I'm sure someone could tell you from experience on here how much it would be.

Bzerk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Its worth a couple of hunjie just so if the cops pull me up i can wave it in their faces!!!!!

richo7502000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS, Harley Davidson VRSCF V-Rod Muscle
If you go up by more than 2 inches over a rim diameter that was offered on that particular model then you need a Engineering report.
So, If there was a HSV with 19" rims offered on your model then you should be able to put 21" Rims on without an Engineering report in theory, which obvioously limits VR/VS models to 19" as there was only ever 17" rims fitted as the largest diameter on those models.
Engineers will generally have no problems with bigger rims so long as the tyre suits the rim size for width as well as height, a lot of people with 20" and larger puts skinny tyres on wide rims which is stupid but is the only way they can actually fit these big diameters, enginerring would not pass this type of install, so I would advise anyone trying to fit the big rims to do their homework so that they arent messing with their cars Track and steering geometries as they would be wasting the money of the rims and the engineering costs.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
^^
not to mention the wearing out of tyres