Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20" Rims or not

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
If it were me I would have put 20's on and lowered it on the day I drove it out of the showroom. I don't think the ride is too harsh on Sydney roads at all.
...But everyone has different preferences.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
I've always been a fan of the E1 Senator Signature & one of my best mates who owns one started it!

As a standard car, they are what I consider to be understated, but isn't that part of the allure of the Senator? Luxury, clean classy looks while still having the heaps of power & performance on tap...?

As others have stated, if you're happy with it, then who cares. It's our car at the end of the day & there was probably a good reason you bought it.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
+1 for leaving as is. They are a stunning looking car when stock.

Craigo8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Senator Signature
I've always been a fan of the E1 Senator Signature & one of my best mates who owns one started it!

As a standard car, they are what I consider to be understated, but isn't that part of the allure of the Senator? Luxury, clean classy looks while still having the heaps of power & performance on tap...?

As others have stated, if you're happy with it, then who cares. It's our car at the end of the day & there was probably a good reason you bought it.

Yeah I am with you.The whole reason I went the Senator was because of the balance between Sport & Luxury.Just loved the look of the car since they first came out.Leaning towards keepin it Factory.I will take crap all day but at the end of the day I drive it.............and love it.Thanks again for feedback
Craigo8

timbo888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i have the 19" SSV rims and really wanted some 20's for my car, just never got around to it.

one reason for wanting the change was the looks, the other was the price of tyres - the 20's were a fair bit cheaper. i don't know if the 19's were an odd size, or just that 20's were more popular.

but as everyone has said, it's your car and your money. if your mate doesn't like the look get him to pay for the mods :)

ILLFLY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 08' Manual
coming from 22's to 20's was a big change in ride quality, i doubt from 19-20 you would feel it if at all.. kings ssl's would lower it slightly and still retain some comfort

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hey All,
My mate reckons my E1 Senator looks like a 4WD
(not low enough bigger rims needed).He is the third guy that has pointed this out to me since owning the car.I like the way the car looks & sits but I want to put it to you members to gauge your reaction.If I go ahead I love E1 GTS 20" rims to keep the mods to an E1 spec but again mates have said E3 GTS rims would suit better.I have always kept my cars as close to factory as possible,so any comments on factory v mods will be appreciated.I have photo shopped the car lowered & with the rims and didn't like the outcome.So whaddya reckon?Don't ya love mates!!!!!!
Thanks Heaps
Craigo8

1. First of all your car does not look like a 4WD. No HSV does. Ignore your friends. It's your car and your money.

2. I would not lower it unless you really want to because it will still look nice on the HSV spec suspension and HSV went to a lot of trouble to get the settings right.

3. Yes you can improve on the wheels IMHO and if it was my car I would change them. If you like the series 1 GTS 20 inch wheels then put them on. They will suit the car and you are retaining the pedigree HSV look. They are expensive though and you will be looking at over $4000 for the genuine wheels and good quality tyres.
Going from a 19" to 20" wheel and a lower profile tyre(35 profile front and 30 rear in place of current 40 profile front and 35 rear) you should notice very little difference in ride quality. Lowering the car is much more likely to detrimentally affect the ride quality a bit (if that is all you do to the suspension) than going from the 40/35 profile tyre in 19" to 35/30 profile tyre in 20".

There are some terrible aftermarket wheels around and this is what some nong did to his HSV senator with after market wheels:
2009 HSV Senator - Pictures - 2009 HSV Senator picture - CarGurus
I am sure he thinks it looks fantastic but it looks pretty stupid, cheap and nasty on a car that cost over $80000 new.

An example of one HSV Senator that does not look bad on new wheels can be found here (the grey HSV Senator):
TSW Alloy Wheels Australia - Gallery
There are THREE photos of the car . It is personal taste but, as a 20" wheel example, I quite like the look of those 20 inch wheels on that Senator in that body colour.

Craigo8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Senator Signature
1. First of all your car does not look like a 4WD. No HSV does. Ignore your friends. It's your car and your money.

2. I would not lower it unless you really want to because it will still look nice on the HSV spec suspension and HSV went to a lot of trouble to get the settings right.

3. Yes you can improve on the wheels IMHO and if it was my car I would change them. If you like the series 1 GTS 20 inch wheels then put them on. They will suit the car and you are retaining the pedigree HSV look. They are expensive though and you will be looking at over $4000 for the genuine wheels and good quality tyres.
Going from a 19" to 20" wheel and a lower profile tyre(35 profile front and 30 rear in place of current 40 profile front and 35 rear) you should notice very little difference in ride quality. Lowering the car is much more likely to detrimentally affect the ride quality a bit (if that is all you do to the suspension) than going from the 40/35 profile tyre in 19" to 35/30 profile tyre in 20".

There are some terrible aftermarket wheels around and this is what some nong did to his HSV senator with after market wheels:
2009 HSV Senator - Pictures - 2009 HSV Senator picture - CarGurus
I am sure he thinks it looks fantastic but it looks pretty stupid, cheap and nasty on a car that cost over $80000 new.

An example of one HSV Senator that does not look bad on new wheels can be found here (the grey HSV Senator):
TSW Alloy Wheels Australia - Gallery
There are THREE photos of the car . It is personal taste but, as a 20" wheel example, I quite like the look of those 20 inch wheels on that Senator in that body colour.
Thanks for your input mate.
I am going to keep the car as it left the factory.I may be showing my age a bit but I think the car is perfect the way it is.Had a look at links (what is the guy on car gurus thinking WTF)) the others do look nice but not for me.
Thanks to all that replied.

BlintTheWolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Berlina
Hey guys,
Awesome thread.
Has anyone found a list of OEM wheels for VEs anywhere? I'd like to see the range of standard stuff in one go.
I Just bought an '07 VE Berlina and I love the look of the Alto Grey colour but the 17" wheels let it down. HARD.
I want it to look luxurious rather than sporty. Also, I'm a big fan of machined face black/grey rims.
I've decided to go 18" to keep the cost of tyres down.
Any suggestions?