Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20"s and insurance

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
im soon gonna be puttin new rims on my car and ive decided im gonna go for 20s..... my only worry is insurance, im with nrma and i havnt inquired about it yet but im pretty sure i know what there gonna say... can anyone out there with 20's please tell me what they did about insurance and what company there with?? also what would be a better fit 8.5" or 7.5"?? i havnt seen many that are 7.5 but would they fit better?

thanks....

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
I dont think insurance companies will cover illegal mods.
Arent 20s illegal, unless you got a mod plate?

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
i've got 19's on mine, i had no trouble getting them insured when I got my car valued a while ago.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
i've got 19's on mine, i had no trouble getting them insured when I got my car valued a while ago.

which insurance

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
RACQ, I pay $900 a year full comp with my sound system, body kit and so on and im only 20 :)

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
yeah most places include it as an extra i know mine did they covered my 18's dvd screen and system and didnt have to pay any extra for it

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I know the insurance companies I have spoken to cover 19's for a VN, but they say "It is your obligation to make sure the wheels are legal" when I question them further. Otherwise they will just insure them as they do not check legality themselves unless there is a claim on the policy.

You need the wheels to be engineered generally to have them actually insured, otherwise if you find a bastard in the insurance company when you make a claim, your insurance CAN be voided if they want to.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
RACQ, I pay $900 a year full comp with my sound system, body kit and so on and im only 20 :)

we got a price of 1050 but she said we would have to make sure the 17" were legal. as in if there there the same width of the standards wheels.

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
thatks for the info guys.....does anyone know the limit in the width of tyres u can go??

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
25mm wider than factory...

Ok people's as some of you have said insurance is not the issue here...
You can ring the insurance company and say you putting 22's on a suzuki swift, they will ask if its legal and at this point you can either lie and say yes or say no n they will politely bbid you a good day and hang up.

If its legal you can insure it, if its not legal and you say it is you will be ass raped come making a claim. Your premium will go up with upgrades like rims, stereo, bodykit etc.

That simple people...