Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20" supersports on ve ss wagon

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
ok my wagon finally arrived at the dealership today and they finally rang me and told me that the 20"supersports arent available for the ss wagon due to not being load rated or some ****. not happy. they are fitting the wheels for me under request but arent liable for anything afterwards..... Now if anyone has seen the hsvi website, they would see that they are listed for the ss wagon but not the ssv. sounds weird to me.... my question is, will i still be covered under insurance? ive also asked them to fit a 20" tyre placard from spare parts, which they said "they would look into it". i hope they do.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
My VE wagon came pre delivered with 20" supersports... i know exactly what's up with this.

Purely from a safety point of view, there's absolutely no reason why the 20" supersports arent listed as a legitimate option on the sportwagon. The VE ute is a heavier vehicle, yet the ute allows the Supersports in 20" on problem.
Also, I still have a sales pamphlet from when I bought my car showing a a Sportwagon kitted out with 20" Supersports... was a definite selling point when deciding on the Sportwagon in the first place. Anyway, after receiving delivery I noticed this very issue.... the standard tyre placard makes the 20" supersports illegal with the bridgestone potenzas supplied. Obviously, I was a little miffed at driving around in a car delivered to me brand new with a road registration- but not roadworthy.

So to answer to your question, NO... you arent covered by insurance. And this is exactly what I said to Customer Care over the phone, expressing my displeasure in being sold a car fitted with genuine dealer options but still not road worthy and therefore no valid insurance protecting me and my family. They informed me that the selling dealer, when fitting the optional 20" Supersports, needs to remove the old placard and reinstall a new one prior to delivery (which obviously didnt occur).

Now, looking at Ebay and everywhere else, it appears that every man and his dog is selling new placards for VE's... but here's the crunch, it's illegal to tamper/change the tyre placard yourself. The only people authorised to change placards is the selling dealer or a certified engineer.

Solution?
A paperwork trail showing that at no stage did you yourself fit the new placard. You'll need this if the insurer sees the new placard in place of the old one, and queries it further.
After a phone call to Holden Customer Care, they suggested I contact the selling dealer to get the issue rectified. And I did so... via email.
I confirmed what Customer Care had told me (that dealer shouldnt have delivered car without changing the old placard first), and confirmed a day and time for THE DEALER to fit new placard... via email.
I've got the sales pamphlet showing the wagon with 20" supersports, the sales invoice showing they were fitted pre-delivery, and the emails showing new placard fitted by dealer (at no charge of course!).

What the dealer is saying to you "at your request" is that they are basically trying to wriggle out of the BIG responsibility in selling you a car with dealer fitted parts that ISNT roadworthy. No good!
Unless you can get them to install tyre placard and wheels themselves pre delivery, AND give you evidence that occurred (and that you didnt just do it later on), it's just not worth the risk. Either pull out of sale for this reason, or be happy with no 20" Supersports.

I still think it's silly that they dont just specify the 20" fitment in the standard placard, but hey what can you do. Load rating is all about weight. The 20" supersports are fitted to other VE bodyshapes that are heavier than the Sportwagon no worries, so why they cant be fitted on the Sportwagon straight up is beyond me.

What's even more puzzling is the part is readily available through spare parts to rectify the issue entirely.
When they "look into it" for you, maybe give them a helping hand and quote GM# 92244828. It might help them find the right item quicker, and they can then install it for you.
BUT carefully check predelivery documentation prior to signing car over. Those Supersports better be legally fitted on the car, otherwise dont accept it.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I'm pretty sure load rating is all to do with tyres used on the rim, not the rim itself..

The standard 95 load rated 20" Potenzas supplied by Holden dont meet the minimum load rating on the standard tyre placard of 96.
You can buy 97 rated tyres to satisfy load rating, but they are bigger tyres and wont satisfy width and rolling diameter requirements.... making them illegal anyway.

simple wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore Sports Wagon
I'm pretty sure load rating is all to do with tyres used on the rim, not the rim itself..

Wheels also have a load rating on them, you will notice this embosses in the back of the spokes, but the supersports are easily load rated for the wagon, the tyres is where you run into the issues with insurance/ roadworthy.

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
thats odd.... because they tried to talk me into the 20" fluxus rims as they said they were fine for the wagon. pretty sure they would run the same tyres wouldnt they? all good as i called them today and theyve changed the tyre placard for me. and insurance company said that the wheels will be covered.