Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

200+ rwkw on a VE SV6

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
....was this when they were trying to sell the car? or did they just have no idea?

wikky was dead on 120-130rwkw

Most SV6's cant even be tuned (post 2007), and even if they could 200+rwkw would involve forced induction at the very least, not to mention the exhaust and tune, cam or intake, oh and the labour!! I certainly wouldnt be describing that as easy...
How about you see how many 200+rwkw SV6's you can find around, because if its easy then theyre must be loads of them. Pity I havent heard of any though...

nah mate, just talking to them. what makes you think only 120-130? thats like a 40% power loss over the powertrain

I have 172rwkw on my sidi sv6 with just a catback... so 200 does seem possible with the tune, a full exhuast, cai... it might be close!

i just got a catback on mine. was hoping that with a tune and intake i could make it. might have to go a bit further with the exhaust though

i'm trying to reach 200 rwkw, at last check i had 167 with stock exhaust/intake, since then i've had a full exhaust system fitted, haven't dynoed yet. will soon. next is air intake followed by the tune. Which I am hoping will get me there.

what did u do to your exhaust?
im trying to work out what intake to get

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
nah mate, just talking to them. what makes you think only 120-130? thats like a 40% power loss over the powertrain

thats what i was told by several workshops including Walkinshaw when i was getting mine worked, and mine stock was 127 - and thats on a real dyno mind you, not these things that are reading like 170rwkw on stock sv6's (non sidis)...

for comparisons sake a stock ss makes around 200ish rwkw

if you dont believe any of this, ring Walkinshaw or any other reputable Holden tuners and ask instead of posting on forums where responses will be opinions/boasting based

PS: there is a guy on here or the 'other' forum with a VE calais v6 with the CAPA supercharger kit making over 200rwkw, have a look at his setup

Last edited:

SV6SidiUTE

Vroom?
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Sidi Ute

i just got a catback on mine. was hoping that with a tune and intake i could make it. might have to go a bit further with the exhaust though

what did u do to your exhaust?
im trying to work out what intake to get

headers cats pipes mufflers. the whole shibang.

re the intake, hmm as far as i know there is one only from growler, unless someone else has produced a new intake... and i haven't heard the best things about growler box replacement. IMO you can't just replace the box and still leave the normal piping due to the airflow. There is a section of air intake hose that is corrugated, which would cause turbulance in the airflow, on top of that that oil catchment plenum (whatever it is) is not good for airflow either. You have air being rammed in through the hose and then expanding in the plenum only to be forced back towards the engine intake while the other air is still rushing in. Too much resistance IMO. In order for an effective air intake either OTR (some say this is crap for some reason) or pod setup with proper hose/pipes. So on that one i am still waiting for something decent. About the same time i lent my car for headers to be made i dropped past GM Motorsports. Apparently they are working on a possible OTR intake, but are trying to figure out the tuning possibilities. Haven''t heard from them since. I'll be eagerly waiting for that time to come. :)

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
theres an N/A VZ ute in QLd that makes 247rwkws. it's the performance manifolds ute. i saw it at summer nats. he's now fitted an alloytec into a torana with hi port injection(full race setup) don't know specs maybe 260-280rwkws?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SDoTPjOXo

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
thats what i was told by several workshops including Walkinshaw when i was getting mine worked, and mine stock was 127 - and thats on a real dyno mind you, not these things that are reading like 170rwkw on stock sv6's (non sidis)...

for comparisons sake a stock ss makes around 200ish rwkw

if you dont believe any of this, ring Walkinshaw or any other reputable Holden tuners and ask instead of posting on forums where responses will be opinions/boasting based

PS: there is a guy on here or the 'other' forum with a VE calais v6 with the CAPA supercharger kit making over 200rwkw, have a look at his setup

no that makes sense, i also saw on a different thread that a SS had about 200rwkw stock. which is also why it would be awesome to get 200 out of a V6 lol.

so what did you find out from Walkinshaw? getting any work done to to your SV6?

headers cats pipes mufflers. the whole shibang.

re the intake, hmm as far as i know there is one only from growler, unless someone else has produced a new intake... and i haven't heard the best things about growler box replacement. IMO you can't just replace the box and still leave the normal piping due to the airflow. There is a section of air intake hose that is corrugated, which would cause turbulance in the airflow, on top of that that oil catchment plenum (whatever it is) is not good for airflow either. You have air being rammed in through the hose and then expanding in the plenum only to be forced back towards the engine intake while the other air is still rushing in. Too much resistance IMO. In order for an effective air intake either OTR (some say this is crap for some reason) or pod setup with proper hose/pipes. So on that one i am still waiting for something decent. About the same time i lent my car for headers to be made i dropped past GM Motorsports. Apparently they are working on a possible OTR intake, but are trying to figure out the tuning possibilities. Haven''t heard from them since. I'll be eagerly waiting for that time to come. :)

so hows the exhaust go? i got a cat back xforce 2.25" on mine. its bloody good. kinda thinking of doing the headers. i heard the stock cats are already pretty good though so i was gonna leave them.

in regards to the intake, there is also the Air Hammer. fair few comments about both of them. according to the manufacturers though i think the air hammer has an expected 6rwkw gain and the growler has like a 12rwkw i think

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
so what did you find out from Walkinshaw? getting any work done to to your SV6?

in regards to the intake, there is also the Air Hammer. fair few comments about both of them. according to the manufacturers though i think the air hammer has an expected 6rwkw gain and the growler has like a 12rwkw i think

airhammers better than the growler, dont go by what they say about their own products,

i have a non-sidi sv6 with a full 2.25' exhaust, headers, cats, airhammer intake, manifold insulators, and a powerchip tune, makes around 165rwkw now

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
airhammers better than the growler, dont go by what they say about their own products,

i have a non-sidi sv6 with a full 2.25' exhaust, headers, cats, airhammer intake, manifold insulators, and a powerchip tune, makes around 165rwkw now

what makes you say the airhammer is better? i've heard a lot of bad reports about the growler actually

finally someone who has done some work with the non-sidi v6. that seems like a pretty good result, 40rwkw gain. work like that is exactly what i would be after, not sure about the cats though. if you don't mind me asking, what did the different mods cost you? what did you notice from them? fuel, torque, sound?

also, is the engine light on?

lots of questions man sorry, haven't found anyone else who's done work on the non sidi though

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
theres a few worked non-sidi's, have a look at monaro327 to name one...

the growler is only a different airbox, not the tubing, you may as well change the filter in the stock one and it would be better... the airhammer or the new K&N kit would be the way to go and they seem to have the reputation to back that up too

the check engine light comes on if you change the cats, but i had it turned off in the tune

i paid 300 for the airhammer kit, 100 for the manifold spacers, 900 for the powerchip tune, 500 for ceramic coated pacemaker headers, 500 for magnaflow 200cpsi cats, and i had all the middle bits (centre muffler, hotdogs and crimps) cut out of the stock exhaust so its just a straight through 2.25" pipe, and stock SS mufflers on the back (i used to have redbacks on the rear, they were a nice sound just a bit loud for my liking, but the SS mufflers with the rest of the mods actually sounds good without being too loud)

its heaps more torquey and responsive, makes the car feel really light, and i can feel the power difference, the fuel consumption is relatively unchanged or slightly more but thats probably the way i drive it now!

something to consider would be higher diff gears, monaro327 just did this, as this is probably the best bang for buck given that its hard to make big power gains with the v6

SV6SidiUTE

Vroom?
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Sidi Ute
theres a few worked non-sidi's, have a look at monaro327 to name one...

the growler is only a different airbox, not the tubing, you may as well change the filter in the stock one and it would be better... the airhammer or the new K&N kit would be the way to go and they seem to have the reputation to back that up too

the check engine light comes on if you change the cats, but i had it turned off in the tune

i paid 300 for the airhammer kit, 100 for the manifold spacers, 900 for the powerchip tune, 500 for ceramic coated pacemaker headers, 500 for magnaflow 200cpsi cats, and i had all the middle bits (centre muffler, hotdogs and crimps) cut out of the stock exhaust so its just a straight through 2.25" pipe, and stock SS mufflers on the back (i used to have redbacks on the rear, they were a nice sound just a bit loud for my liking, but the SS mufflers with the rest of the mods actually sounds good without being too loud)

its heaps more torquey and responsive, makes the car feel really light, and i can feel the power difference, the fuel consumption is relatively unchanged or slightly more but thats probably the way i drive it now!

something to consider would be higher diff gears, monaro327 just did this, as this is probably the best bang for buck given that its hard to make big power gains with the v6

chief, be honest. What do you think of the powerchip tune?

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
yea i had a look at monaro327's, very nice. had a look at yours too, once again very nice lol. once i get a few more things done with mine i'll post some pics up.

i had a look at the air hammer and it seems pretty good. i dont really understand what you mean with the growler. i thought they were all the same thing but just different brands?

i didnt know they could turn off the engine light with a tune. thats good to know.

all those mods sound like a good idea. with your tune, it wasn't dyno'd? you got a chip? i dont know anything about cats, whats the 200cpsi?
i had maloo mufflers on the rear of mine, i hated them cos they werent loud enough lol.

sounds like some good results, the stock engine seems very un-responsive when i put the foot down. almost seems like it has to think about what i want it to do before it goes anywhere.

i still can't come to terms with the 40% loss of power from the fly, sounds ridiculous!