Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

200+ rwkw on a VE SV6

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
i had a look at the air hammer and it seems pretty good. i dont really understand what you mean with the growler. i thought they were all the same thing but just different brands?

all those mods sound like a good idea. with your tune, it wasn't dyno'd? you got a chip? i dont know anything about cats, whats the 200cpsi?

i had maloo mufflers on the rear of mine, i hated them cos they werent loud enough lol.

look at photos of a growler and then you will see what i mean, it uses the stock piping (if you can call it that) and only replaces the airbox. it costs more than the airhammer and more people including me recommend the airhammer.

I have an 09 SV6, and as i said earlier anything later than 07 cant be dyno tuned with vcm suite. Powerchip is a generic flash tune that they try to match to your mods. A dyno tune is always the best approach, but given I cant get one this is the next best thing. Honestly its pretty good, torque seems a lot better, it pulls harder, and by the dyno results it must have added around 20rwkw, plus it removed my engine light.

200cpsi means 200 cells per square inch inside the cats. The stock cats have 400cpsi, therefore the lower the number the better the exhaust flows through the cats.

On a completely stock system SS or HSV mufflers (they are the same by the way) probably would be a little quiet, however on mine I have headers, high-flow cats, and a straight through system, so they would be much louder than you experienced.
As I said, everyone is different, and we all like different things, I tried some striaght-through mufflers but with all the other mods it was just too loud for me (sounded nice though), im happy with how it is now.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
i've got a 2008 VE SV6. non SIDI obviously.

talked to a few people from holden and they said easily be able to get it above 200rwkw

Only with forced induction!

I had a non-sidi 195kw V6 Calais that with FULL EXHAUST, INTAKE, TUNE pulled 150rwkw.

Stock it's about 135rwkw and NEVER MUCH MORE THAN THAT!!!

The only way to get 200rwkw from a V6 is through forced induction or SERIOUS, component changes (i.e. not just bolt on).

Tommo_27

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i had all the middle bits (centre muffler, hotdogs and crimps) cut out of the stock exhaust so its just a straight through 2.25" pipe

I thought you just just had the hotdogs and crimps removed. When you got that all cut out how much louder was it compared to before? And did you have the redbacks on or just stock mufflers when this was done?

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
I thought you just just had the hotdogs and crimps removed. When you got that all cut out how much louder was it compared to before? And did you have the redbacks on or just stock mufflers when this was done?

Ive played with my exhaust for a bit, first it was hotdogs/crimp cut out with redback rears. That was a little loud so i put stock SS mufflers on, then that was a little quiet so I had the centre muffler cut out. This is how it is now and im happy with it.

Tommo_27

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Ive played with my exhaust for a bit, first it was hotdogs/crimp cut out with redback rears. That was a little loud so i put stock SS mufflers on, then that was a little quiet so I had the centre muffler cut out. This is how it is now and im happy with it.

I was thinking of just cutting out the hotdog crimp section. You reckon it will drone if i do that? Car is an auto.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
look at photos of a growler and then you will see what i mean, it uses the stock piping (if you can call it that) and only replaces the airbox. it costs more than the airhammer and more people including me recommend the airhammer.

I have an 09 SV6, and as i said earlier anything later than 07 cant be dyno tuned with vcm suite. Powerchip is a generic flash tune that they try to match to your mods. A dyno tune is always the best approach, but given I cant get one this is the next best thing. Honestly its pretty good, torque seems a lot better, it pulls harder, and by the dyno results it must have added around 20rwkw, plus it removed my engine light.

200cpsi means 200 cells per square inch inside the cats. The stock cats have 400cpsi, therefore the lower the number the better the exhaust flows through the cats.

On a completely stock system SS or HSV mufflers (they are the same by the way) probably would be a little quiet, however on mine I have headers, high-flow cats, and a straight through system, so they would be much louder than you experienced.
As I said, everyone is different, and we all like different things, I tried some striaght-through mufflers but with all the other mods it was just too loud for me (sounded nice though), im happy with how it is now.

oh right, i understand what you mean now with the growler. I'm guessing the custom piping is more free flowing or something?

i remember that now in regards to the dyno. are they getting anywhere with the dyno tunes or is the chip still pretty much the only way?
what torque results did the dyno show?

that makes sense to me now about the cats, thanks.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Only with forced induction!

I had a non-sidi 195kw V6 Calais that with FULL EXHAUST, INTAKE, TUNE pulled 150rwkw.

Stock it's about 135rwkw and NEVER MUCH MORE THAN THAT!!!

The only way to get 200rwkw from a V6 is through forced induction or SERIOUS, component changes (i.e. not just bolt on).

yea I'm starting to realise it is unrealistic on a N/A :(. no harm in inquiring though!

i have noticed though that there is a very large variance in dyno results

3 steps to 200rwkw in an sv6.

Step 1: remove v6
Step 2: swap for L98
Step 3: enjoy! Lol

if only. i'm on my P's though = new rules = no V8's

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
oh right, i understand what you mean now with the growler. I'm guessing the custom piping is more free flowing or something?

Exactly.
The pros with the growler is it is enclosed and a non oil filter (correct me if im wrong), which means it shouldnt defect you and it looks stealth, but its expensive and you would need to make your own piping

Cant remember the final torques but it was a fairly significant gain

Mate from experience the way to go would be to change the diff gears (best bang for buck even though it doesnt add kw), tune or chip, catback, headers/cats, intake in that order from greatest to least performance gain. And bang for your buck the diff gears, tune/chip, and catback (given that you can just cutout the middle section and throw on rear mufflers)