Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

200+ rwkw on a VE SV6

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Only thing i wish i did different is not buy a v6 regret it everyday since driving a V8. and no matter how many mods i do it just isn't the same by a country mile not even compared to my old LS1 which only makes 225rwkws and i've only spent about 2grand on mods.

that said if i was doing the sv6 all over again all i'd change would be diff ratio clutch ripshifter and extractors cold air intake they are the only things that make a difference.

right now im thinking about selling my SV6 and getting an SS. what does LS1 stand for? the 2010 SS engines are pretty good arent they?

Adameksv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 2010
could someone explain changing the diff gears for me ?? is it costly ?? much appreciated

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
right now im thinking about selling my SV6 and getting an SS. what does LS1 stand for? the 2010 SS engines are pretty good arent they?

Traded my SV6 on a VZ Senator Sig myself.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
could someone explain changing the diff gears for me ?? is it costly ?? much appreciated

depends if you want your diff ratio changed yes it's costly. if you can find a SS Manual diff not so much.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute

LS is the name given to GM V8 engines for the last 15-ish years. Current Holden iterations being the L98 (manual) and L76 (AFM Auto). Both good, strong motors. HSV started with the LS2 and are now running LS3 V8s. They rev quite slow and have bags of torque all the way through the rev range when stock so they're very easy to drive quickly. Also, with a few, relatively inexpensive mods, you can be looking at some pretty serious horsepower! They're a great motor and a really good place to start a project.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
LS is the name given to GM V8 engines for the last 15-ish years. Current Holden iterations being the L98 (manual) and L76 (AFM Auto). Both good, strong motors. HSV started with the LS2 and are now running LS3 V8s. They rev quite slow and have bags of torque all the way through the rev range when stock so they're very easy to drive quickly. Also, with a few, relatively inexpensive mods, you can be looking at some pretty serious horsepower! They're a great motor and a really good place to start a project.

Thanks mate. I don't think i'd do any engine mods to it but who's to know, i'd prob change my mind after having it for a while (IF i get one that is lol).
I'm currently looking at a 2010 Wildfire SS Ute

Adameksv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 2010
depends if you want your diff ratio changed yes it's costly. if you can find a SS Manual diff not so much.

found a ve ss manual diff for sale have enquired about it as of yet not sure of the benefits of changing the diff ?

cheers

Adameksv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 2010
In a nutshell, it increases the effective torque available at the rear wheels by altering the size of the gearing in the diff in relation to the gearbox. This results in faster acceleration at the expense of top speed.

okkkk fair enough that sounds like a pretty good mod to make then faster acceleration at the expense of top speed, is it a costly process to change diffs ? Would changing the diffs have that great an impact on fuel consumption ? Sorry for all the questions cheers nick