Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$2000 to spend on vy mods

Elite58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec N/A Auto
I have a stock v6 vy and wondering what are the best performance mods i should get for around $2000 i have more cash than that but dont wanna spend to much on it yet

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Extractors, exhaust, and higher ratio roller rockers, maybe have change to throw a shift kit into the trans aswell !!!:driving:

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Another one of my questions, what does changing the rocker ratio's do exactly, im guessing it would increase valve lift?? couldnt a new cam acheive that as well, or does that take care of the timing side of things too? For instance if a got a larger cam, would i have to get rid of my rocker's if the ratio was too high?

So basically whats the general rule between your cam and rockers?

cheers

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Changing rocker ratio lifts the valve further off its seat allowing better intake flow around the valve...

Changing the cam to a higher lift variant does the same effect but is alot more hassle and costly to do... the benefit however of changing a cam is that you can alter the duration that the valve is open for and the timing of opening and closing in relation to the piston position.

General rule dont use high lift cams with high ratio rockers unless you know you are going to have clearance between the valve and piston when the cam is at its highest lift... otherwise you'll damage the engine if the valve hits the piston... What ratio rockers and cams go together is best talked about with an experienced engine builder who can guide you in that area.

Hope that answers your questions...

Elite58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec N/A Auto
thanks

thanks for the help where can i get that gear from and what brand should i use?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Extractors maybe pacemaker, roller rockers get Yella Terra, Shift Kit get B&M, and get your exhaust done at a shop if you want it sounding perfect and get them to wack on the extractors at the same time.

Another suggestion is a K&N panel filter. about $120

and a performance/custom ecu tune to compliment your mods.

If your looking for places to get the gear get a street commodores mag or do a search and you'll find plenty.

Elite58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec N/A Auto
my vy is N/A should i look at get a supercharger?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I doubt that you could effectively supercharge a N/A for 2 Grand considering you'll need a retune, bigger injectors, manifolds, supercharger, stronger conrods and pistons, less compression... etc...etc... easier to trade your car on a supercharged version to safe the hassle.

Elite58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec N/A Auto
soz didnt explain myself very well i meant as in should i just save up and get a super instead of these mods and if i did wat would u recomend and a guess on price

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I'd recommend.... save up and buy a S/C Calais !!!... then you wont have any engineering issues to deal with...plus you'll have a more luxurious car...also it's easy to get more out of the S/C motor with a simple pulley swap...you could spend a fortune on building a S/C setup... when the amount of money on a kit will get you a better car.

This place does kits to give you an idea of the costs...http://www.capa.com.au/prices_kits.htm