Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VS 304 ute Uni and Centre tail shaft bearing replacement

Princy187

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS V8 Olympic ute
Hey

Was wondering if any can help me as all mechanics i have called aren't 100%. my ute is a 304, getrag 5 speed and i want to tighten up the drive train as it subtle clunk back and fourth when driving slow in traffic and a vibration type noise kind of like a winding a boat onto a trailer while under load up until about 2 grand revs then its gone (almost like the timing is retarded). What i need to know is can you change the uni's on these or are they part of the tail shaft? mechanic said (over the phone) they might be pressed in.
And is there on on each end if it is a manual or is it just one uni near the diff. i know the centre tails shaft bearing needs to be pressed in / out, but i want to buy the parts and need to make sure im not wasting my money buying the wrong thing.

Cheers
Jamie

304Maate

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs series 3 ute
Any light anyone I have the same issue ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The unis are a replacement part. The uni cups are pressed in. When you buy a centre bearing buy genuine. Most of the aftermarket gear is junk. The thing that can be tricky on some VR and VS is the centre bearing. There are two types some are problematic to fit and some are easy. Difference is time the hard ones will cost you twice as much labour.

Last edited:

304Maate

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs series 3 ute
so from what princy described you’d say do the unis and the centre bearing and the clunking and vibration will go ? I figured as much just want to know should I be looking further thanks for the fast reply

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
so from what princy described you’d say do the unis and the centre bearing and the clunking and vibration will go ? I figured as much just want to know should I be looking further thanks for the fast reply
yes unless you have a bent shaft, which seems like it can happen.