Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VS ecotec Ute auto box help

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
Hi there,
2000 VS ecotec ute with an 0HDD auto box. Daily driver driver by older bloke so not abused. I think the ute did a bit of towing before my ownership.

Anyway appears the box has died as I have lost all drive. Looking for a replacement. Been told to stay with the same year box due to changes each year
in them.
Any more advice?

Also best place to track one down in NSW? Can go 2-3 outside of Sydney or Newcastle. Currently making calls to the known wreckers.

Cheers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Scan for codes these boxes do 300k or more if not abused.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Being 2000 model might get lucky with vt trans being similar but replacement still be 20 years old so might want to buy one with warranty if 2nd hand job.

I've bought stuff from Pick n Payless with decent results....not the cheapest but some things I like warranty because sure as fark I'll bring it back if faulty lol

Reactions: Lex

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Try No.21 of the 4L60e common problems document to see if that looks like your problem:

21. No movement in any gear: pump failure, or total loss of fluid. R&R, or refill pan and find the leak. If out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the trans is refilled to avoid pump damage. To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.

R&R = Remove & Repair (or Rebuild) = Transmission must be removed to fix the problem and may have to be rebuilt or replaced.

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
Thanks for the replies.
Was going around corner and revved (slipped) when accelerated. Coasted it to my work.
After work check trans oil and colour. All good.
Got about a kilometre up the road and had no drive in any gear. No reverse.

Assume it is cactus, now trying to track down a replacement.