Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VS Ute struggling to start when cold

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My last CAS fail occurred intermittently. Engine would stop when hot and driving for 45 mins, other times it would fail five mins after starting.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it was any of these then it would play up while driving too, CAS fail when hot most times so I rule that out, could be a bad earth but sound more likely fuel pressure related.
While its a good idea to swap fuel filters as part of regular maintenance. The OP mentioned two codes. I think that's a pretty good indication he has a problem with the ignition system somewhere. ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^^ This :)

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Before wasting money on a new CAS get the codes cleared first to see if they come back, if you drove from Sydney to Melbourne then its not your CAS it would of failed in that trip, if anything it be a bad contact or a wire on your DFI plug which is throwing the code, look at those pins in the DFI plug they can bend and make a bad contact, like was said above give it a good clean with contact cleaner. His a link on testing your system, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...e_Manual.pdf&usg=AOvVaw25UkWBcLeiUsL0vJ7WQXQp

Andyp3

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS Commodore V6
Thanks for the link Trevor. I've seen that the fuel pump won't prime again unless waiting for 15 seconds. I tried it repeatedly, but would've only got one squirt of fuel which wouldn't be enough. I'll test the engine when cold by letting the fuel pump prime 5-6 times, and then try cranking.

I've almost replaced the entire ignition system (plugs, leads, coils and DFI), so I'm not beginning to think it's the CAS with an intermittent fault or the fuel pump. Given the car drives extremely well once it's started, I'm leaning toward fuel pump. The fuel pump test will hopefully let me know which it is.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks for the link Trevor. I've seen that the fuel pump won't prime again unless waiting for 15 seconds. I tried it repeatedly, but would've only got one squirt of fuel which wouldn't be enough. I'll test the engine when cold by letting the fuel pump prime 5-6 times, and then try cranking.

I've almost replaced the entire ignition system (plugs, leads, coils and DFI), so I'm not beginning to think it's the CAS with an intermittent fault or the fuel pump. Given the car drives extremely well once it's started, I'm leaning toward fuel pump. The fuel pump test will hopefully let me know which it is.
Just turn on and off repeatedly every 10 seconds that will help prime the line before starting, have you tried swapping over relays under the bonnet, also look at the wiring under the car that feeds the fuel pump for small breaks causing the wirers to be exposed.
To test the pump run a wire from your battery + to the fuel pump direct it be the purple wire to see if the pump is working fine, Other than that it can be your BCM not sending earth to activate the fuel pump relay maybe the immobiliser or your key fob not touching the ring around your key barrel properly. Good luck.