Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VT 157xxx kms knocking coming from rear

choccojosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Executive S2 sedan
update: checked the CVs and bearings an everything was fine, went to show my mate and it wouldn't make the noise, he left and me and the missus drove around a bit and still no noise

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
update: checked the CVs and bearings an everything was fine, went to show my mate and it wouldn't make the noise, he left and me and the missus drove around a bit and still no noise

When I had the noise I described earlier I found that when I jacked the car up to check the CV joints and uni joints the the noise would disappear for a few days, weird. Jacked it up a few times and each time the knocking would stop for a few days. Must have something to do with the suspension and drive shafts hanging down abnormally, like I said, weird but true.
The CVs felt fine when I was checking them.

choccojosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
so your cure was to pretty much replace the oil in the diff and get a new boot? I don't have an LSD

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
so your cure was to pretty much replace the oil in the diff and get a new boot? I don't have an LSD
No, the diff noise was about a year and a half ago, I mentioned it because it was making the same sort of knocking that the CV joint made, so I first thought it was the diff again, when in fact it was the CV joint. Grease fixed the CV joint. Check the CVs to see any sign that grease has seeped from the boots, it might be dry and dirty and not look like grease.

choccojosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
will give it a shot when the grandfather gets back as he has the grease gun

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
as accentstencil said, i suspect cv joints also

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
again with this ....

it's a design fault uneven tyres cause the diff to resonate causing the knocking noise

have a look at your tyres has it worn on the inside ? it will pass, sometimes changing tyre pressure helps, drive it till it stops

go and complain to holden for the **** design

choccojosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
current tyres are fine but the old 17's I had were worn to the nylon, mainly on the inner area, I run 34-36psi in 205/65R15's on the rear and the front 235/45R17's on the front haven't been touched, would this problem be related to camber?

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
camber is the problem

this has happened to me as the tyre wears, it's lasted a few days then disappeared returned 9 months later for a couple days and disappeared again until i fitted new tyres lasted 2 hrs( probably from the el'cheapo tyres scrubbing in)

i think as the tyre wears and because of the neg camber you get these little slips from the tyres causing a side to side vibration that eventually stops

i guess the solution is fitting toe adjusters or a rear cradle from a series 2, pulling the toe in causes the camber to become positive giving greater tyre contact

you won't get longer tyre life, the tyre just wears more evenly

choccojosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
the tyres on the back are relatively new, oska you might be right because the noise has stopped completely