Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VT Commodore Issue (Could be Anything)

Josh Comacchio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore (V6)
Hi, i'm seeking help on why my beloved VT Commodore kept stalling today.
It is a one of few advanced VTS that came out so everything under the hood except the starter motor and oil filter is all original and still working till this day amazingly. I'm keeping an open mind as its an old car and nothings really ever had to be replaced. But something had to go sooner or later and i cant figure out what it is!
My first stall was stopping at some lights then having to accelerate uphill, steering became heavy car cut off. Second stall same deal, except i was on a flat road only rolling. Third stall same thing again going up hill. Also the same for the many times that it did. The car had around 95km in the tank on the first stall which is quite low, i then filled the tank up to 240km to make sure i wasn't out of fuel, but the car stalled again shortly after. I also had a faulty key which didn't help start the car as well, might have thought i had a loose connection to the ignition meaning the car was stalling, had the key fixed and coded then car drove for around 10 minutes, stalled again. I then spoke to a mechanic who said it could be a coil pack, crank sensor, fuel pump or fuel filter. After having to leave the car on the road for a few hours i started it up and drove 45 minutes home with no stalling. However i could feel the car decelerating on some moments on the way back. ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE HUGELY APPRECIATED!!!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
that sounds like fuel pump to me
has the fuel filter been changed regularly, is the maintenance up to date

jasonzzz_petey

Supercharged VT Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VT Calais
Hey Mate

My old V6 Supercharged Calais was doing the same thing.

I would be driving along then it would just suddenly die when driving at like 60km/hour.

Sometimes it would start straight back up but most often than not it wouldn't start until it had cooled down.

Turned out to be a faulty DFI module, that's the part that the 3 coils plug into.

I was a dumb c**t and had pressure washed my engine bay a few days prior and reckon water got in there.

Hope that helps.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Faulty crank angle sensor could be your problem. When they get old and heat up, they fail until they cool down, before failing completely. You can pour water over the crank angle sensor (near the flywheel) to cool it down and see if it starts then.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hey Mate

My old V6 Supercharged Calais was doing the same thing.

I would be driving along then it would just suddenly die when driving at like 60km/hour.

Sometimes it would start straight back up but most often than not it wouldn't start until it had cooled down.

Turned out to be a faulty DFI module, that's the part that the 3 coils plug into.

I was a dumb c**t and had pressure washed my engine bay a few days prior and reckon water got in there.

Hope that helps.
Not a dumb #### just looking after the grunt...