Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VTII Olympic Pack

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hello all,

Starting a build thread on my next Commodore after the aborted S-pack project.

So for $2k I'm getting a 1999 VTII Olympic pack sedan, in Bermuda. 235k, mechanically very good upon inspection. All electrics work (incl AC). Drives very well, not much really to be done relatively speaking! I still have all the goodies from the S-pack project if I ever need them any way lol! Interior is excellent, not really a cent to spend. Under the bonnet only fault is a leaking rocker gasket. Motor, tranny, diff all good. Steers, rides well - pulls a bit to the left under heavy braking but maybe a reconditioned caliper and new brake hose/s would sort that out.

Main issue is the body. It was in a hail storm. Before making an offer to the seller, I showed it to my PDR guy who gave me a verbal quote and confirmation that it would be fixable. Even taking the PDR into account would still be way cheaper than the other project! Paint is ok without being great, lots of fine scratches but I reckon a good polish would really help.

So the vehicle comes with very good history - it was a fleet vehicle for the 2000 Olympics (with documentation and badging to that effect), and afterwards was sold at the big clearing auction they had to a guy from Orange. He had it for 10 years, current owner (elderly couple from nearby small town) have had it for 8 years. It was parked in front of a business that is next to the gym I go to.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well after some digging around its an August 2000 compliance, appears to be registered to SOCOG 17 Aug-8 Nov 2000, then sold onto the fellow from Orange, spending 9 days in the dealership system.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok so I picked up the car today.

Firstly, it came with every single receipt related to its upkeep from new until c2008. It came through different Holden dealers than I assumed (delivered new through Boyded Holden to SOCOG, then on through Ross Granata motors at Mudgee after the games).

Mechanically it's alright, brakes pull a bit to the left, may benefit from a wheel alignment. Interior is smick, could do with a clean and detail.

Under the bonnet it is grubby, but alright. Rocker gasket on left bank is leaking.

Body has many small scuffs and scratches, I foresee much polishing in the week ahead! It has hail damage but I have lined up a PDR guy to fix this.

Mods - could you please change title of thread as it's a 2000 model?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Done :)

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Time for some pics
IMG_08001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_08001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_08001.jpg

IMG_08061.jpg

IMG_08021.jpg

IMG_08031.jpg

IMG_08011.jpg

IMG_08041.jpg

These shots were taken as soon as I got home.

This afternoon I took off the sign writing, washed it, and polished the LH side of the vehicle, as well as some other larger scuffs and scratches. Also hosed out under the bonnet. A little bit of polish has made a huge difference to the appearance of paintwork and has greatly minimised most defects.

If it was 30 yrs in the future and I was doing a ground up restoration on perhaps a rarer and more valuable vehicle, a full respray would be on the cards, as every panel has a ding and/or a scratch of some type. But such an expense cannot be justified for now, so for now PDR is taking out the dings, I'm polishing out and/or touching up scratches where I can. Won't ever be concourse material, just a nice tidy driver to take on club outings and enter in appropriate show and shines eg. All Holden Day.

Wheel alignment and balance booked in for Saturday. Tomorrow I will be doing a full service, as the last recorded service was in 2015.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well today I replaced the plugs, lead, oil, oil filter, coolant and air filter. Gave the front end a thorough examination - I cannot find anything wrong with it. Only thing is yes the springs are sagging and the shocks are what it rolled off the line with. I have the FE2 springs I was going to put in the white one, but I'll see if I can get a return on them and get some proper factory height springs. I have the struts already (bonus).

I examined the brakes. I greased the caliper pins; the pads are wearing a little unevenly so I dare say its in the hydraulics; I dare say there are some remanufactured calipers and new hoses in my future.

Did a compression check as well. For the mileage, fairly impressive - 150, 156, 151, 146, 149, 168 psi. Well within tolerance, according to workshop manual.

H

harrop.senator

A caliper repair seal kit is legit $25 for both calipers and $16 for a can of brake paint. It'd probably be a couple hundred dollars for reconned supplied calipers. Easy job to do it yourself.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not sure I have all the tools. Don't you need an air compressor?

H

harrop.senator

You'll need an air compressor but for the price of reconned one you could probably buy a compressor with airlines and an accessory kit when they come up at supercheap on special every second month or for around $50 on gumtree. Very handy thing to own.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well wheel alignment was a no-go, castor rod bushes are shagged. Wheels weren't balanced as back 2 tyres are almost bald.

Ah well, just as well that I had all the suspension parts anyway, and the tyre size is cheap to replace.