Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VTII Olympic Pack

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Last weekend took it on its first club run. Only one member commented on its age or lack of it....but only from the obvious perspective its not eligible for historic rego (wasn't wanting it anyway, as it has original personalised plates). Pleasant car to drive on the open road and from first impressions it would be using noticeably less fuel than my Volvo 240 did. Compared to the Mazda3 it certainly feels agricultural, but still the NVH levels are also good compared to the VB and Volvo 240 (obviously - its 20 years newer!)

Most of the parts have arrived for the rebuild; waiting on correct set of springs, then I can get started.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The springs and shocks and hopefully a set of strut tops will help the braking issues as well.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
C3PO

Your comment about the car feeling agricultural is interesting.

When we back- traded our 2005 Golf for a 2003 Berlina, it was the Holden which was far more comfortable and quiet. The old Ecotec was its usual thrashy self at high revs but we seldom went there. In all other respects we felt the Berlina was a much nicer car than the Golf. And it was sure as hell much more reliable, too.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Good shocks may make a big difference to how it feels.

Our old VS Berlina with Dobi low springs (FE2 equivalent) and Munroe GT gas shocks had quiet a harsh ride, the VX Calais with the same spec Dobi sport low springs and KYB shocks rides much nicer. Having said that, we have also gone from a 235/45/17 tyre at 40-42psi to a 225/50/17 at 38-40psi pressure which has also improved it's ability to soak up the bumps.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
The springs I am getting are generic aftermarket ones. Standard height and spring rate. Same with the shocks. Shocks are 100% original, down to the 3-Aug-00 build tag.

The Mazda3 is a 3rd generation and is in a completely different league, when it comes to NVH. 1st gen was a bit 'raw' (and dare I say better to drive because of it), 2nd was an improvement, the BM/BN Mazda 3 is now on par with a Corolla for refinement in the class (but not as much as the golf...). The biggest issue with the Commodore is the 4spd transmission, not enough ratios to choose from, when it changes down it could be smoother. But comparing it to the Mazda3 in terms of equipment levels, you miss bluetooth, ipod connectivity, most safety equipment, keyless start, wheel mounted controls etc so there is enough of a difference between it and a new car to warrant some curiosity value I suppose.

I am taking the punt that the brakes are a hydraulic issue in that the left wheel ususally (when I've tested it) locks up noticeably before the right side (and yes it pulls to the left). In daily gentle driving it isn't noticeable but its noticeable if have an emergency etc.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Good shocks may make a big difference to how it feels.

Our old VS Berlina with Dobi low springs (FE2 equivalent) and Munroe GT gas shocks had quiet a harsh ride, the VX Calais with the same spec Dobi sport low springs and KYB shocks rides much nicer. Having said that, we have also gone from a 235/45/17 tyre at 40-42psi to a 225/50/17 at 38-40psi pressure which has also improved it's ability to soak up the bumps.
Are them KYB the adjustable ones ?
I agree the Munroe GT are as you say, they have a more in the way of compression valving, good when you are flat out and big bumps and dips.
Tyres I agree with you that is the way to go to improve soaking up the bumps.
I find tyre brands and types of the same size can make a difference, the cheaper types normally need more pressure to make them respond at there best, but the down side is they then ride harder.
I replace my tyres twice in a year and get 20,000 to 30,000KM out of them and push the cars hard, so I have experience, but the problem is even one brand changes the product all the bloody time and I even found once using the exact same type tyre 4 times in a row that one batch was different right from the start the rubber was softer, a balls up in the rubber compound for sure.

H

harrop.senator

Kyb hasnt made adjustable shock absorbers in years I dont think. Even the "gas-a-just" weren't adjustable the only adjustable ones i know of for commodore are koni , xyz , tein and the china ones.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just standard KYB shocks.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well haven't driven it that much. Still haven't even refuelled the tank from when I bought it! Its going to the panelbeaters over the long weekend to have the paint and panel done. I've been in contact with the original owner, found out a bit more history with it.

Once the paint and panel is done, I'm looking at doing the brakes and suspension in the school holidays when I have 2 clear weeks where I can be flexible with my time. Might even have a garage to do the work in.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Went into the shop today to fix major cosmetic issues.