Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VTII Olympic Pack

Discussion in 'VT - VX - VU - WH - V2' started by c2105026, Apr 4, 2017.

1. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
    To update
    - FOI/GIPA application with Sydney Olympic Park Authority turned up nothing, records destroyed 2007. So this is all I will ever get info wise. Been able to find out quite a bit, though. More than previous vehicles.

- Did a service last week, oil, coolant and transmission fluid/filter. Latter item was a bastard and very messy (2 litres of old trans fluid on the floor covers a wide area). Fluid almost black, so just as well I changed it. Some very fine metal film/powder, to be expected at this mileage. No chunks or larger flecks. Transmission drives super beautiful after.

- Passed its first pink slip (in my possession) today. Took it to Holden Dealer for this, the car was still in their system (serviced there from 2003-2008, and another visit in 2012).

- Using google and logical deduction its hail damage would have been from August 2015.

Calaber and VS 5.0 like this.
  2. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Oh and after tightening the inlet manifold bolts, no more mayonnaise under their oil cap, or that could be felt or seen through oil filler hole. Hopefully problem cured!

3. devilly

devilly Guest

sorry to say this but it's a very short term fix :( you have to replace the gaskets themselves.

4. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Nooooo don’t say that! Lol!

I’ll check under the rockers every oil change, if it comes back I’ll replace gasket. Not dear to do but can be labour intensive.

In other news progressively the seat fabric has come away from the seats, looking loose and shabby. Ordered some tailored seat covers in a neutral colour just now, they should arrive this week. Not a bad price neither!

5. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    That was a problem with VT's. You often find a clean and cared for example where the upholstery is shabby and is pulling away from the foam padding.

6. devilly

devilly Guest

my advice grab the parts while it's still holding together and the coolant and try and get done before it hits summer time, nothing worse then it overheating in summer time and oil in the radiator. can't wait to see what colour you picked and how they look too :)

7. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Seat covers fitted

Quality of stitching not brilliant but they fit ok

4C485D97-8CFD-4BEC-BBE1-BEAF9EE3CB8C.jpeg AA94EF4D-98F8-47B0-B4E1-B4DC6915F1A9.jpeg

8. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Well to update - no issues so far, I've done about 7000km all up.

Still no mayonnaise under oil filler cap, or where I can reach with my finger under rocker cover.

Been to a couple of shows, got a bit of interest.

In December last year I thought it was a brilliant idea to touch up the stone chips - bit it made it look even more **** (gloss difference, slight paint mismatch). So I spent a week in the holidays slowly wetsanding my work off, polishing it etc. Until I get the car resprayed in the future (and that is an 'if' - I forsee some interest in unrestored survivors in the future car scene) I'll leave it for now.

I have some ideas for future projects on the vehicle. Firstly, the clip holding in the power window switch block is broken which means it doesn't sit properly. The bulbs behind the dash - I got aftermarket bulbs from an auto sparky, but they are wrong colour (clear, not green/red) - when I get paid next I'll order the correct bulbs off eBay (GMH is $29 a bulb!).

This is what the display board looks like now. I built the basic structure for the VB I had. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dashboard display of Olympic memorabilia.

When I display it I have a burnt CD of music that was in the ARIA charts during the 2000 Olympics playing.

afstruct and VS 5.0 like this.
  9. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Just ordered everything I needed for the projects listed - $46! Thanks ebay....

10. ausleo

ausleo Member

Members Ride:
    VT Series II SS Sedan
    Good to see the VT's getting revivals.

with your spare car hang onto the struts complete with the control arm, radius bar and suspension they are a handy thing to have. Keep the steering rack too. I've gone through a couple of steering racks over the years. And the power steering pump, lines and resevior handy spares.

11. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Ok folks here's an idea I've been playing with - lowering ~30mm.

I lowered the Mazda3, looks awesome.

I'd keep the existing rims.

It might look better, but it would also ruin originality. As it stands, it is bang-on factory spec for ride height, but looks a bit 'high' to me.

12. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    Suspension is something that wears out . If you like it and plan to keep for awhile , it's easily reversible ( keep your original shocks and springs) .
    If it's standard height and not fe2 you will need shorter shocks as well, to work the best and give best ride with lower ride height.

13. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    - All the bulbs have been replaced
    - aftermarket window switch didn’t fit properly so I repaired my existing one (foamy double sided tape)
    - gave car service yesterday - tire rotation, oil and filter change, change diff oil and fuel filter.

14. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Bit the bullet, got a paint correction done. Was looking phenomenally **** in the sun! Massive improvement.

[​IMG]

15. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Ok so......a friend of mine in a car club I'm in, was a driver at the games.
    He kept just about all his stuff!
    He's downsizing, so I got this off him last night after club meeting.
    Included - a mountain of information including a folder of all routes drivers/cars were supposed to take; an information folder used during driver training including a section of how to drive/use the different Olympic vehicles (Statesman, Commodore, Vectra were mentioned - as well as Mercedes Vito buses), handbooks of the absolute minutiae of detail of how to fulfil the ORTA driver's role, down to what one's uniform allocation was and where to pick it up, protocols on how o pick up and drop off vehicles, as well as blank templates of accident/breakdown forms etc. also had details of how to get into restricted areas,

Also included is a shirt, and also all the documentation my friend received when he went through the application process (started about 12 months before!). Absolutely filthy that SOPA (Sydney Olympic Park Authority) destroyed vehicle usage documents in c.2007. Could have found out what specifically it was used for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VS 5.0 likes this.
  16. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Nice pick up C3PO.

The specific vehicle usage would have been the icing on the cake.

17. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Been doing a massiv road trip in the VT as part of a photographic project I am doing.

Tripping about documenting all the dealers that have closed or amalgamated since the vehicle was new.

So far over the last year will have done 48 sites in NSW and ACT. 24 to go in NSW!

Then there are about 60 in Victoria....

afstruct likes this.
  18. waynethomson

waynethomson Member

Members Ride:
    series 3 ute
    mad!i recently picked up a series 3 vs ute badged olympic edition as well. its running a nice 304 with a 5 speed. great package. also there are a fair amount of factory extras. leather seats, ss front spoiler ( all lights work) with full side skirts.lsd also. its a fabulous car and has a lot of punch. im pretty stoked with it.

afstruct likes this.
  19. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Needs a ride thread in the vr-vs section, would love to see some photos .
    They're great utes , ol 5l has nice low down torque that's very useable in daily driving, just fuel usage sucks compared to more modern cars.

20. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Very interesting and in a nostalgic sediment a bit sad ( I'm sure if you do these trips in another 5 to 10 years there'll be quite a few more unfortunately.
    Hope your also seeing alot more of all the local sites as well.
    Can't beat a road trip for a holiday.
    Three local Holden dealers, newy , Cardiff and Gateshead, that I know of .
    Gateshead one must have been owned buy cardiff dealership ( it is now anyway) as local adds are now with it's dealer name but it's now Suzuki and I think Mitsubishi .