Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VTII Olympic Pack

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Coming along well. Next?

The washer system has carked it, motor is working but the pressure has dropped to zero. On the weekend I will look into it further - I am thinking it is either a split hose in system, or pump has decided to burn out. Worst case scenario is new washer pump $42 from supercheap. I guess that might be where my $50 goes lol. Also - the boot struts aren't holding the boot up very well, and I'll replace the bulbs in the central dashboard this weekend - all have blown. I'll stop off at supercheap after work tomorrow and see what they have in stock. If it isn't in stock I'll order it myself off eBay.

I have spoken to a shop to replace the brakes and suspension, lest I chicken out. About $700. Might just save the $700 and give myself something constructive to do in the holidays.

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
My brother has a VX, they are a fantastic car to go on trips in the back seat is like a big lounge chair and they are very quite for road noise.

Things i would do:

-Add a new earth from the battery to the engine loom earth point on the heater hose fitting, it helps with overall voltage stability and can take out small imperfections in the idle etc nothing really noticeable.
-VY Rear subframe, they have caster adjustment and they do get the wheels sitting better.
-Have police mode turned on in instrument cluster, you just get a digital speedo instead of over speed.
-Center console light
-Remove Windscreen scuttle panel and check the interior air mesh isnt chocked full of ****
-Zorst tip

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
-engine earth sounds like a good idea
- Changing subframe sounds like a massively complicated job
- Centre console light - yeh sounds reasonable. I will be taking the console apart to do bits here and there
- Interior mesh clean out sounds like a good idea

Anyway in other news I have entered it into the NSW All Holden Day where hopefully it will make a show debut.
I have new mudflaps, antenna at the ready to install as well. I found a NOS period holden phone mount, and have secured a period Nokia 3310 for car show display. On eBay to add to any display I have some Olympic plush mascots for the back window and even an ORTA transport driver's tag.

Doing a bit of web-based research, I found extra info and pics about SOCOG fleet vehicles - who got to use them how the whole thing was managed (biggest fleet order in Australian history, apparently....)

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chickened out, got a shop to do the brakes and suspension. Also I have quite a bit on during the holidays. Brakes now very good, no noticeable pulling. Suspension is now tight, as new but I get the impression that the springs are much firmer than factory.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you've had the suspension bushes completely replaced it will make the car feel much tighter and can convey the impression that it's riding more firmly. Give it a few weeks of use and you'll probably find it's not as harsh as it feels right now.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well it's basically all done. Today didn't have to go to work as we were closed due to power maintenance.

Replaced the boot struts, fixed the washer pump (the grommet connecting it to the washer bottle had a filter, this was full of slime!). Replaced all the bulbs behind the dash. Replaced the front muflaps and the broken antenna (now THAT was on ordeal!)

Now to install dash mat, floor mats, headlight protectors, and rocker cover gaskets.

The mechanic who did the brakes and suspension did suggest a power steering hose, the serpentine belt and engine mounts would need attention down the track, but I'll do that at the next service.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
This is sounding good. The sort of things I did with my VR Berlina about thirteen years ago. If the basic body and mechanicals are sound, just replacing various smaller parts can make a world of difference.

On a separate note, did you get your money back selling the previous aborted S project car?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is sounding good. The sort of things I did with my VR Berlina about thirteen years ago. If the basic body and mechanicals are sound, just replacing various smaller parts can make a world of difference.

On a separate note, did you get your money back selling the previous aborted S project car?

In answer to your question - not in immediate terms. Lost about $1200. But what I lost, it needed that and more in repairs anyway. Compared to AUS-14E, it needed work on the Diff (~$500 minimum), and the AC was dead (~$200 minimum), window tinting replaced (~250), steering wheel replaced (~250), driver's seat repaired ($200). Body would have worked out the same - needed a bit of painting, but no hail damage. Financially it would have worked out similar, but logistics in sorting out all the above could have been a pain in the bum. Then there was the smell. I don't know what was spilled in it, but it was petroleum based and foul. It is possible that nothing would fix that!

Even though AUS-14E lacks the 'street cred' of the S-pack supercharged, and of course a limited growth for future value (if that sort of thing interested me), I am much happier with it in terms of vehicle history. It has an interesting origin, I was able to track down and talk to the original owner, it is completely unmolested and it has every single receipt from the first owner.

Anyway today I took it on its first post-major-completion run; went to a school sports carnival in Young. A couple of things - the bulbs behind the dash I fitted are aftermarket, so they miss the green cover. Ergo, dash lights are still green but its the wrong shade (too light with a hint of brown). More to the point, the green covers would have been a heat insulator, as the AC button was feeling a little warm. Also have another bulb the comes on and off on the RHS of the speedo in the cluster. Might be a bad connection. Last night fitted some $12 rubber floor-mats from K-mart, I think they will do for now.