Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VX commodore v6 auto - P plate mods

maxibon93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX 3.8 AUTO
hi all, im new to these forums id like some help.
I recently purchased a VX commodore, and id like to install a exhaust system with extractors. Ive gotten a mixed answer in terms of the law with modifications.

1. Do extractors need a engineer's slip?
2. Extractors allowed for P plates in NSW?
3. Reccomendations on a Nice exhaust system that doesnt sound like japanese import wanna be ####

aveugotone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 exec S2
hey bud if u want a decent sound definatly a sports exhaust of some sort wheather its a bolt on from the cat back or tuned exhaust system, on a v6 a twin cat is a waste of time and money, they sound s**t just like a tractor, and cannons arn't that great they sound like an import, i gotta 2.5 inch bolt on from the cat back and it sounds good not anything to boast and whoo hoo over buts addds a nice note to it, dunno whats legal down there with the law but up here its sweet as good luck, let us know how u go....

maxibon93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX 3.8 AUTO
Yeah, nothing stupid at all lol, my mums friend just came down for a day and has 2001 VX and has a nice sound to it, but not over the top, id consider getting the same system as her, but would also like other feedback and info on laws and regulations :(

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
i live in nsw and have extractors and 2.5inch catback exhaust with the rear muffler replaced with a hotdog and twin 3inch tips... sounds mint but unfortunetely i dunno what brand the exhaust is :p

sounds loud but not over the top and i dont get any police attention (im a p plater too)

but i dunno what it will sound on an auto..??

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
for an auto just get the full system and dont chop out the mufflers i reckon.. will sound good ;)

Thessman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss s2
I had a vs auto with a 2.5 inch exhaust. It was just an off the shelf brand, cost me around $300 with a basic oval tip. Sounded really nice, not like an import. As for the extractors, I heard they don't really change the sound a whole lot?

maxibon93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX 3.8 AUTO
they add some performance and also add to the burble/gargle sound + the current stock ones are rusted so i do need new ones.. ive been researching for the past couple of days, extractors and exhaust "Should" be legal so im good on that front, but i just discovered cold air intakes, saw a few on ebay for $300 or so and looks like i could install my self or with car savvy mate.

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
got a 2.5 lukey catback with a r8 tip, love it and i think its improeved fuel economy a bit for 300

maxibon93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX 3.8 AUTO
yeah i was thinking 2.5 lukey and pacemaker extractors r8 tip would be sweet

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
comparing mine to vx's without extractors... mine has a bit more of a beastier sound