Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2000 VX Commodore won't start

YoungHoldenMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ve sv6 holden
Hello!

I'm not overly car savvy but enough to get by. I also may get the terminology wrong on things but will try my best. so please be very information and provide links if you can. I also have my friend helping me who is a diesel mechanic who works on trucks.

My issue with my car is that he won't start. You can hear the starter motor trying but it never turns over/ start.

How it happen:
My step father said that when he went to start the car one day that it wouldn't turn over, he left it for an hour and then it started. However the next day he started it and took it for a drive when half way down the road the engine just turned off and wouldn't turn back on.

What we have done/checked:

Fuel Pump:
We have replaced the fuel pump. You can hear a 'hiss' sound near the engine when you turn the car on. The sound of the fuel being pumped into the engine. We have also taken the hose off the fuel filter and turned the key to see if it was pumping correctly. The fuel went through the fuel filter fine. Plus all hoses are connected correctly. All seems fine

Fusses:
We have checked and swapped out all fusses and relays in the engine bay and under the steering wheel. All seems fine

Start you bastard: We sprayed start you bastard into the engine before doing the fuel pump and it wanted to kick over but just wasn't able too. However after doing the fuel pump and trying to start it a few times, we then tried start you bastard but this time we didn't get the same effect as before hand. it just kept trying to crank over without the slightest hope of working. Did we flood the engine from trying too start it too many times?

Battery:
Battery is fine and working well.

Spark plugs:
Seem fine and working

Conclusion:

Other then the idea of it being flooded, I'm not sure whats going on or what to try next. No check engine light comes on either.

I will add that this car was a back up car. So it sat around for a few weeks>months and only got started on Sunday's and taken for a short 20min drive. When I would start the car on a Sunday, the engine would rumble like it was getting ready to conk out but then I would put my foot down and rev it and it would come good.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate your help!

Many Thanks!

Last edited:

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
seen people mention the crank angle sensor on here for non starting should do some research on it i dont know much about it myself just seen it mentioned

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
My issue with my car is that he won't start. You can hear the starter motor trying but it never turns over/ start
some definitions to help
cranking is when you turn the key to start and the engine rotates
does it crank at normal speed or slowly
if you just hear a clunk noise it will be the solenoid in the starter motor closing but not cranking over, if you just hear a tiny click it will be the start relay closing
if it cranks over but wont start write that
if it starts but stalls immediately write that
if you believe the engine is flooded holding the accelerator pedal flat to the floor lets the ecu know that you think it is flooded and will not power the injectors
as this car is rarely used how old is the fuel in it

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Did we flood the engine from trying too start it too many times? Did you smell fresh petrol? Yes=yes. No=probably not.
Does your key still have the chip attached? They can fall out and your car is not going to start or stay going without it.
I've had a similar problem a couple of times, both turned out to be different things- once was the alternator, the other time was MAF sensor.

YoungHoldenMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ve sv6 holden
Update:

Hi all,

Sorry for the very long reply.

About 2-3 days after this post, We found it to be the DFI module that was stopping the car from starting.

If it helps anyone, what we did was to see if the spark plugs were sparking when we tried too start the car by unplugging a spark plug and holding it close to the engine without it touching (check google for a good spot). We still had no spark.

We then watched this video:
to test the coil pack with a multi meter and found the coil pack to be fine.

So all we did next was borrowed a DFI module from a mates car and BAM! Away she went.

Thank you everyone for your help!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
thanks for posting back with the solution, sure to help someone in the future