Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2001 VT series2 parts swap into 98 series1... Diff/IRS... Motor

3rd Gen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore's
Please any legit help would be appreciated.....

I have a 1998 series 1 on the road that needs repairs, and a 2001 series 2 out the back that was written-off a while ago,

So my question and what I need help with is these two points.....

1: Am I wright in thinking I can un-bolt the complete arse end (eg: the IRS/diff carrier) from the s2 and it should bolt straight into the s1 ???

2: Swapping the motor from the s2 to the s1, if I bring the computers from the s2 (BCM/PCM etc)will the motor work and bolt to the s1 gearbox ???

The two cars are exactly the same only difference is the age and serries,

Both are auto and have the same option's level

will the s2 motor bolt to the s1's box and box to the diff,??? should I swap the tail shaft as well????

Last edited:

TheGreenBlob

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Car
BUMP

Can someone please help this guy,

I wouldn't mind knowing if you can swap back myself, as I have a few wrecks out the back too.

must be a commodore thing

3rd Gen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore's
Thanks for the bump, Blob

guess it's a little harder to answer than I thought...

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
Theoretically, as the engines are the same you shouldn't need to change the computers, just use all the old sensors in the new engine etc. Unless the problem is the computers, then there's a heap more work.

The series 1 and series 2 VT's had different computers, whereas the VT2 and VX1 had the same (except calais). Not sure if the plugs are wired differently, so if you were to strip the entire wiring loom, swap every computer, the engine and transmission then yeah it should work.

From what I can tell the VT prop/drive shafts didn't change, and only the country of manufacture (more locallly made parts) changed for some parts of the rear diff/suspension assembly. So they should be swappable too.

I'm not an engineer, nor mechanic, I'm just an enthusiast so yeah.... measure three times, cut once. :)

EDIT: Also, as the engine you're swapping in is for a newer car there shouldn't be any legality issues either, as most states are happy for newer engines (same manufacturer and engine type) to be swapped in without engineering etc.

3rd Gen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore's
Thanks

Engineering wise, in QLD all I need to do is have a plate fixed to the fire wall with the new engine number...

no problem with the computers, But the one from the series2 has been played with and I was hoping to keep it,

- In fact I have been toying with the idea of completely striping the Series1 to a bare shell and swapping every thing over from the series2,
Big job I think's

- Have decided to rebuild the s2 engine as it has sat for some time and wasn't the best when parked, then bolt it to the s1 box

thanks for your help