Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2001 VU V6 Ecotec Auto, running rough!

Damo2550

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU V6 Ute
Hi all, I’m new to the group.
I had acquired a 2001 VU V6 Auto Ute with the engine stripped down in pieces which I have now rebuilt and installed.
After many hours of troubleshooting, I’m still at a loss as to what might be wrong with the engine. It starts and runs fine but seems to run a bit rough, it smells a bit fumey and after a while blows a small amount of smoke (blackishblue).
It has had the heads machined, new valve stem seals, water pump, head gaskets and all the other new gaskets for rebuild, new pulleys, fuel filter, belts, engine mounts, oil filter and oil, new plugs, leads, etc. The car doesn’t have an engine light on but still runs rough, it accelerates without an issue but still seems to smell fumey.
Can anyone point me towards anything else that I might need to check? I did notice that the ECM relay gets hot but still can’t seem to find what’s wrong.
I have an OBD2 scan tool but it doesn’t link up.
Any suggestions are welcome, otherwise I’ll take it to a mechanic for diagnosing however it’s not registered yet.
I have added new fuel, octane boost and fuel injector cleaner but no change.
Many thanks in advance

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Possibly a fuel reg if it smells like petrol

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
rings?
do a compression/leakdown test
also vu is aldl not obdii

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
it smells a bit fumey and after a while blows a small amount of smoke (blackishblue).
I have added new fuel, octane boost and fuel injector cleaner but no change.
Thats sounds like part answer to smell fumey ^^^^^

What rpm does the engine idle at in neutral and in drive ?????? reason I am saying that is sounds like engine is getting too much fuel by the ecu.

Could be as others said @ fuel reg, or even a dodgy injector/s, but you can also include TPS, IAC, OS even ATS, AFS, EGR which affect the fuel/air mixture and car running rough.

it accelerates without an issue but still seems to smell fumey.
Rich air/fuel mixture is like having the throttle stuck open a bit, hence why car runs ok but stinks.

Damo2550

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU V6 Ute
Fuel pressure regulator?
Cheers Lex, and Losh1971, I’ll get a new one and see how it goes. I have ordered new injectors as well but I’ll change the items one at a time so hopefully narrow down the exact cause and post the results here. Thanks again everyone.
Possibly a fuel reg if it smells like petrol

Damo2550

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU V6 Ute
rings?
do a compression/leakdown test
also vu is aldl not obdii
Compression seemed pretty good and almost the same as it was prior to being stripped down which is why I didn’t have to change the rings.
Thanks for the suggestion lout , I’ll look at getting an aldl scanner, cheers

Damo2550

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU V6 Ute
Thats sounds like part answer to smell fumey ^^^^^

What rpm does the engine idle at in neutral and in drive ?????? reason I am saying that is sounds like engine is getting too much fuel by the ecu.

Could be as others said @ fuel reg, or even a dodgy injector/s, but you can also include TPS, IAC, OS even ATS, AFS, EGR which affect the fuel/air mixture and car running rough.

Rich air/fuel mixture is like having the throttle stuck open a bit, hence why car runs ok but stinks.
Cheers Vin999, I’ll look at the throttle and check the rpm, it did look like it was around 600-680rpm

Damo2550

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU V6 Ute
Here’s an update on the VU,
So the things I have changed (one at a time) to try and find the issue.
Replaced all these, injectors, IAC, cleaned the throttle body, new spark plugs and leads, coil pack and DFI, Throttle position sensor, checked fuel pump, drained the tank and replaced with 98ULP, tightened the intake manifold plenum, checked the evap purge solenoid, and the AC/Heater vacuum control tubes. All injectors are working and spark plugs doing everything normal.
Engine still runs rough and starts producing Smokey fumes after a while as the engine gets warmer.
Also no engine light appears but yes it does illuminate before starting with all the other lights when you turn the key as normal.
Before I look at replacing the ECU and buying an ALDL reader, is there anything else that could be causing the problem, ie, Catalytic converter failing?
Am I missing something? Does it need a tune?
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers people!

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Did you change the fuel pressure reg as mentioned earlier?