Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

xev_

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina
Hey guys,

Issue 1: So I've got a bit of a weird one, roughly 5 days ago I noticed when I started my car at the end of the day (commuting back home) my car's RPM sorta fluttered and "lost power" so to speak as I pulled from the curb to drive away (it so far hasn't occurred when driving on the main road, its only within the first minutes of starting the car and driving away). At first I thought nothing of it until it happened consecutively 2-3 days in a row, I got more alert and mindful of the sounds and behavior of my car in-case anything got worse however after those two days it stopped and the car went back to normal. Fast-forward to present, and this afternoon I went to pull away from the curb and accelerate down the road but the car literally lost all "primary power", the power steering went dead, the engine stopped accelerating or idling and just shut off/stalled my AC went back to a soft sort of albeit breeze and my head unit continued to play music. So the car didn't loose ALL power, it kinda just kicked back into "accessory" mode as if I flicked the keys back on the ignition switch.. but I didn't, the dash still worked and it showed the "Battery" light however I'm so puzzled because if it's the battery the car wouldn't be displaying the symptoms it is currently. The battery was put in back in 2016 so I know I'm due for one soon but what's happened just doesn't add up to that? Unless I'm wrong? Some help would be so very appreciated.. for some extra info the car has had it's Leads replaced before I owned the car at about 380 000 kms, it's had its sparks and fuel filter done in April 2018.. I'm real stumped.. maybe it's my fuel pump, Alternator or my Crank Angle Sensor? I have no other idea what else it could be.. which brings me to issue 2, I have no idea if this links to it or might be causing it or not but..

Issue 2 (Not sure if its linked to issue 1 but any clues will be very helpful): The only other out of the ordinary thing it has been doing is it has a squeak in the engine bay, this started at about 400, 000 kms when the mechanics replaced the belt in the engine bay, the squeak would only generate in the cold, this eventually went away (I presumed the new belt was just adjusting). However my car is now at 406 xxx kms and the squeak is back with a vengeance! Although its behavior is different altogether, the squeak this time around happens regardless of the temperature if not worse when its hotter, so I'm wondering if my Idle Pully or bearing or something needs to be replaced? Could this be contributing to my first issue?

I'll also add for everyone skeptical, the car HAS got a lot of kms on it, that's a an obvious fact, but it's been well looked after with consistent service history apart from one owner whom done the work on it himself (rather improper) but other than that I've sunk a lot of money into correcting what they had done prior to bring it back to it's glory, I've done all my services when due and all the basic stuff, so neglect isn't a factor here.

If anyone could help a fellow bloke out I'd appreciate it so so much, thanks.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
As soon as I started reading I was thinking fuel pump, has it been replaced before.
The squeak maybe the idler pulleys but without a recording hard to exactly say, its an easy fix.

xev_

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina
Not in the time I've owned the car no, I'll have to take at look at previous service history

When I can get the chance I'll send a recording