Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2001 VX Berlina OBD Scanner

Shane Lawrence

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 3.8 V6
Hi all I'm trying to purchase an OBD Diagnostic Scanner for my 2001 Berlina, but sick of chasing up I have drive train fault I would like to find out what it is.
Cheers Shane

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ebay would be the cheapest for a obd 2 scanner around 50 will get you a good one, It could be anything sending it off, o2 sensor to airflow sensor or many other possibilities you need the code to pin point it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agree with BlackVXGTS, EC one is the go. I could be wrong but I didn't think that an OBD II worked on a VX anyway, unless it is a V8? I have the EC AED and it is great you can do a lot more with AED than you can with most scan tools, unless you buy a Snap On which can also operate certain parts in the trans without the engine running. IIRC the AED gives you trans data that might help diagnose a faulty valve body. The Snap On can do this too but works in a different way.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ebay would be the cheapest for a obd 2 scanner around 50 will get you a good one, It could be anything sending it off, o2 sensor to airflow sensor or many other possibilities you need the code to pin point it.

Pretty sure an OBD II won't work on a VX V6.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Pretty sure an OBD II won't work on a VX V6.

Yup?
Sure does, I have a mate of mine that has a VX II Super6 Calais, did a scan on it, and programmed 2 replacement Genuine Key Heads, and it work perfectly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yup?
Sure does, I have a mate of mine that has a VX II Super6 Calais, did a scan on it, and programmed 2 replacement Genuine Key Heads, and it work perfectly.
Tech II or OBD II?

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
When we used one on my car, which was either a VT or a VX, I can't remember which one I was driving at the time, it didn't just flat out not work, but a lot of the functions didn't work at all, and of those that did return data, it didn't make sense or couldn't have been right.
That said, they're like $5 online now with free shipping, so if you can wait two weeks, give it a go.
Personally, I'd find a decent mechanic and have them throw their Tech 2 on for you. It'll take 5 minutes and might cost you $50 but it'd be accurate.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Tech II or OBD II?

At the time, I had a Autel MS708 but sold that and upgraded, but did the 2 Key Heads on the VX II Super6 before I sold it.
And programmed in 1 new Key Head on my VY Super6 with my MS908P, both Autel units worked well.
Where I did program in my VE everyday key as the old one died overnight, transmitter lost range, and it wasn’t the battery, as I replaced the battery.
I bit the bullet and just purchased a new Key and had it cut to code, received it and programmed it, all god now.
PS: I have recently purchased a Tech 2, and had a bit of play with the menus, it works great, a bit of practice and hopefully I will be up to speed.