Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2001 vx ss auto trans issues

dylan720

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp cxommordore
Hi all i have a 2001 vx ss commodore thats currently in home limp mode. When i had it scand by my machenic it comes up with low voltage to airflow meter. Im not sure what could be causeing that neather does he i dont really have the money to just leave it with him to fix it witch makes it difficult. Also the other issue is that the transmission wont go into 1st or 4th gear at all if i manually sellect it yo 1st if im stopped it takes of in 2nd and when i shift threw the gears 123d theres only change between 2nd and 3rd it kicks into 3 and kicks back to 2nd if i manually change it but from 2nd to 1st no kick back no chamge what so ever. And if i change fromd 3rd to d no change what so ever i just wanted to know if anyone else has had any of these issues any help would be great thanks.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Below is a description of "limp-home mode", together with a couple of the problems and suggested solutions from the list of 4L60e Common Problems. You will note that problems 10 and 24 are very similar.

What is "limp-home mode" ? This is a fault mode in which the transmission either loses electrical power or the PCM deactivates all of the electronics. The transmission will default to max line pressure. The driver will have Reverse and 3rd, with manual 2nd available by putting the gearshift in 2 or 1 (doesn't matter). 1st, 4th, and TCC lockup will not be available. It will not hurt the car to drive it like this for short periods, but use manual 2nd to get the car moving, and be aware that the trans will generate more heat than normal while operating in limp-home mode due to increased torque converter slippage during 2nd gear starts and no lockup in 3rd gear.

10. Trans shifts into gear harshly, 3rd gear starts, manual 2nd available but no 1st, no 4th, and no TCC lockup: No power to transmission, or trans is in limp-home mode. Check trans fuse underhood (Fuse F32), and make sure transmission electrical connector is plugged in. Easy fix.

24. Car feels sluggish off the line, No 1st, 4th or TCC lockup available, Manual 2nd, 3rd and Reverse are only available gears, CEL is on: Transmission is either in limp-home mode or has lost electrical power. If there are lots of error codes in the PCM, check the under hood fuse that powers the transmission (Fuse F32), and if it pops again, look for a short in that circuit like an O2 sensor harness touching exhaust. Otherwise, check PCM codes for a particular fault in the transmission causing the PCM to put it in limp-home mode.

ls1nut

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais LS1 Manual Factory FE2
i had the same issue with mine i got a MAFless tune

Jake breezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx calias 5.7
I have the exact same problem, when we changed the gearbox and connected the battery and switched on the ignition I heard a short out sound and I haven't been able to figure the problem out since, I also had a mafless tune uploaded when the gearbox was being replaced