Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2001 VX, what is legal! Help!

VXgreeny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Looking at lowering and start working on my 2001 VX Commodore, im on my green p's and a lot of people have different opinions on what is legal to do to my car and what isn't. Hoping someone can clear a few things up that I've heard!
1- what is the lowest i can drop it? and what type of springs would be best, and would i need to get new shocks etc.
2- are Lukey 2.5" CAT back exhausts legal for p-platers? With rear resonator or without?
3- If stock rims are 15s, am i only allowed to go to 17s? I'm looking at buying a set of 18's but i dont want to have to take them off my car every time i get pulled over by a cop.
4- am i allowed to do ANYTHING under the hood to increase performance or will i have to wait to get off my p's?

thanks a lot guys.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
How come you P platers think you are so ####ing spectacular at driving that you require a power increase in an already powerful car?

Learn how to drive properly, why do you think young people turn into road kill so much?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Go for it Al lol.
How come you P platers think you are so ####ing spectacular at driving that you require a power increase in an already powerful car?

Learn how to drive properly, why do you think young people turn into road kill so much?

am I allowed to do ANYTHING under the hood to increase performance or will i have to wait to get off my p's?

thanks a lot guys.
The simple answer is.....NO

Be patient and just leave the damn thing stock for now until you get off your P's. Put 17's on if you wish. That model came out with that size.
You are just going to draw un wanted attention to yourself and as sure as ****, the cops aren't going to go lightly on you.
If they notice the slightest thing on the car that looks out of the ordinary, they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks (can't blame them really).

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Looking at lowering and start working on my 2001 VX Commodore, im on my green p's and a lot of people have different opinions on what is legal to do to my car and what isn't. Hoping someone can clear a few things up that I've heard!
1- what is the lowest i can drop it? and what type of springs would be best, and would i need to get new shocks etc.
2- are Lukey 2.5" CAT back exhausts legal for p-platers? With rear resonator or without?
3- If stock rims are 15s, am i only allowed to go to 17s? I'm looking at buying a set of 18's but i dont want to have to take them off my car every time i get pulled over by a cop.
4- am i allowed to do ANYTHING under the hood to increase performance or will i have to wait to get off my p's?

thanks a lot guys.

Don't do a thing , leave it as it is , just drive it , any mods you do might just make you into cop bait , especially, do not lower it .

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Agreed. Any mod at all could be considered a performance mod therefor breaching you provisional conditions and subjecting you to getting In strife, just wait 2 years its not a long time

mattneggar12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina Wagon
I know here in SA in the country areas cops are pretty calm on exhausts and pod filters on your P's as it does stuff all. As soon as you get to bigger cities near Adelaide you get bum raped within seconds and told off.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Chuck some 22s on it G...

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
any mods that are legal will probably void your insurance
so the simple answer is keep it well tuned

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
You could probably get away with an exhaust with rear resonator. Don't get one without the resi, they drone and sound crap. Find some nice 17" wheels and some cheap FE2 springs/shocks, upgrade the stereo, keep it tidy and avoid tacky Jetpilot/Unit/Skin Industries etc stickers, shouldn't have too much cop trouble then.