Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2002 Astra TS convertible cranks, but won't start

k0m0d067

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Astra TS Bertone convertible
So as an update, I pulled the battery from my jeep, and used jumper cables to connect it to the astra's battery...cranked and cranked, and it almost started...fired for a brief moment, then didn't want to fire again...going to grab some starter fluid tomorrow and see if that helps...

Also, a mechanic friend of mine said something about how he can't count the number of times he's found rags in the air intakes, so just for grins, I looked, and sure enough, there was a rag in the intake, just before entering the throttle body (I'm sure that wasn't helping things)

Also, I'm reading that these cars came with an engine immobiliser...any thoughts on how I can tell if that has anything to do with this issue? Would an immobiliser allow it to continue cranking, but not start?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No but the rag would.

VH3300

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
If the immobilizer is active while cracking, you will see the SVS light flickering (car & wrench symbol). If check engine (or SVS) light is on, it could be a cam or crank sensor.

Are the fans operating (cold start) when you turn the ignition on?

k0m0d067

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah...dredging up an old thread, but my daughter finally bought a new battery...no luck...still cranks and cranks, but won't fire...so I assume it's spark/timing related (as mentioned earlier, it has fuel pressure)...but knowing nothing about these cars, I'm hoping someone in here can give me a list of items to check, to troubleshoot further? I don't have any diagnostic equipment...I'm just a backyard mechanic at best...

k0m0d067

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the immobilizer is active while cracking, you will see the SVS light flickering (car & wrench symbol). If check engine (or SVS) light is on, it could be a cam or crank sensor.

Are the fans operating (cold start) when you turn the ignition on?
just saw this reply...will have a look...which fans are you referring to? the AC/heater fans?

k0m0d067

Reaction score
Members Ride
Disregard...went back out to test the SVS light/check engine light, and neither were behaving as mentioned...but the car kicked over and fired after a bit of cranking...and now starts as it should

Thanks to everyone for all their help...greatly appreciated!