Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2002 v2 monaro

dylan720

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp cxommordore
Hi all my 2002 v2 monaro has the ls1 in it it runs very well it has 300k on the clock and i can pickup a ls2 off a mate with 160k on it for 3 grand i just wanna know if i do the conversion will it affect the value of the car at all as its completely original still thanks.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Absolutely, I wouldn't do it but it's not my car. There is a bit of work involved making the LS2 talk to the ls1 computers too.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
spend the 3 rebuilding the motor instead.

i don't see a huge benefit changing to an LS2

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Switch to an L98 or LS3. Roughly same amount of work involved and a much better result.
If your that hell bent on originality, fill the old motor up with oil on a stand and wrap it up and stash it in the shed.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I wouldn't do it primarily because 3k for an LS2 with 160k on the clock isn't that good of a deal (as in it's a standard price if you get it with the trans and ancilliaries), not to mention you will need a tune to suit.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you are thinking of resale value, a 300K Monaro will put off a lot of buyers at the present, and an engine swap will deter more buyers.
If it is your keeper, and are worried about the future of your present motor, get it rebuilt, with some 'not over the top' goodies.
After 300K, you should also be looking at the cost of other maintenance and replacement bits that are not engine related..

dylan720

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp cxommordore
Thanks for the quick reply guys i was thinking about just rebuilding the engine can anyone tell me a good website i can look at buying a good rebuild kit at all just want a raugh idea

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Thanks for the quick reply guys i was thinking about just rebuilding the engine can anyone tell me a good website i can look at buying a good rebuild kit at all just want a raugh idea

If it runs well like you say it does just keep maintaining it. Don't fix something that isn't broken.

If you do decide to rebuild it, remember to factor machining into your cost.

dylan720

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp cxommordore
It runs amazing my only reason to wanting to rebuild it is i wanna cam it and pull a little more power from it but alot of peaple have said if you wanna cam it then rebuild th whole engine cause thats alot of ks to be caming it and adding more power