Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2002 vs Calais. Quote from mechanic....

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Jesus titty-******* christ....

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
If it were me, I’d take it to Pedders and get them to quote on a four-wheel alignment and replacing any bushes that need doing. Decide whether to do the bushes yourself or not, get the alignment done. After that, get new tyres from a tyre place (but don’t let them touch the alignment as my experience is that tyre places can’t do alignments very well). Then, do the rest yourself as time and money allows.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Their suggestions won't be any better.

Probably true, but I suspect they vary from branch to branch. I one I took my VX to did a great job of the alignment and didn’t try to sell me any upgrades or repairs at all.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi guys I've just recently purchased a vx Calais.
I've been so happy with it. It's comfortable and a nice drive.
I decided to take it in for a safety check being an older car.

The wheels need replacing and wheel alignment.
But when I got all the small problems I was really surprised.

I replaced the oil 5,000kms ago and it drinks next to non. He was surprised it didn't leak.

The car has done 176,000kms which I thought was kinda low for a v6.

The rear tyers are scrubbing so I believe I should do that and then new tyers.
But can anyone shed any information on the rest of these "problems"
I'm unsure weather to just scrap the car and get a newer car.

This is the list I was quoted.

Tail shaft bearing $560
Handbrake look at $130
Brake fluid flush $85
Rocket cover gasket $430
Water pump and cooling flush $440
Castor rod bushes $660
2x engine mount $400
Power steering raxk.and high pressure hose $1600
Diff mounts $500

Thanks guys!!

It's a BS quote, if it doesn't leak oil than why do the rocker cover gaskets need replacing?

Is it loosing coolant out the bottom of the pump? If not why change the pump or change the coolant?

If it drives nice than the driveshaft bearing can't be that bad and neither the engine mounts as you would notice vibrations from either/or etc.

Brake fluid flush is probably worth the money as brakes are just a little important but unless the brake pedal is spongy or soft or has excess travel it's not critically urgent.

Caster rod bushes probably do need doing but it's not a $660 job when on a VX you literally unbolt the old ones and bolt on the new ones.

Go and get a quote somewhere else on anything that is urgent, the rest are nice to do service items that will help increase the lifespan of the car but are not critical and can be done as money and time allows.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Power steering raxk.and high pressure hose $1600
whats a new rack worth $350 plus a $120 for the hose?
They don't want to work on it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I normally flush my own fluid by sucking out the gear in the resi with a syringe and then filling it with fresh gear. Crack the rear nipples and put a tube on them. Let it run a full resi through and top up tighten the bleeder screws and do the same with the fronts. Only thing is the ABS pump if you have one might not get all new fluid but it would be pretty close. Just need to make sure you don't let the fluid go to empty or you will get air inside the lines.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Is there any chance those quotes are from a Pedders branch? They're known for reporting that everything under the car is worn out and quoting for total suspension rebuilds. I can only think that the extent of repairs reported on a car with only 176k means he really didn't want the job. Some of those prices are truly absurd. There are some complex jobs but I'd suspect they may not be necessary. Second opinion if you can't do it yourself is recommended.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Be good to know what location the OP is at. Someone then might be able to point him towards a more reasonable garage.