Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2002 vs Calais. Quote from mechanic....

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
It's a BS quote, if it doesn't leak oil than why do the rocker cover gaskets need replacing?

Is it loosing coolant out the bottom of the pump? If not why change the pump or change the coolant?

If it drives nice than the driveshaft bearing can't be that bad and neither the engine mounts as you would notice vibrations from either/or etc.

Brake fluid flush is probably worth the money as brakes are just a little important but unless the brake pedal is spongy or soft or has excess travel it's not critically urgent.

Caster rod bushes probably do need doing but it's not a $660 job when on a VX you literally unbolt the old ones and bolt on the new ones.

Go and get a quote somewhere else on anything that is urgent, the rest are nice to do service items that will help increase the lifespan of the car but are not critical and can be done as money and time allows.

It doesn't leak any oil. He said it needs a rocket cover gasket. I changed oil just over 5000kms ago and probably needed a tiny top up. Guess it's normal tho.

There isn't any leaking coolant and when k brought the car o flush the system and replaced with 50/50. So I was very curious why they wanted to touch this. I've keept an eye on the system because I'm always weary on the cooling. 5000kms no problem no water usage.

He said I should be able to hear a noise from the tail shaft. I did say I've never heard it and I listened out for it since and can't hear it.

There is no vibration at all. Last massive trip I did 1500kms in 2 days not 1 wink of a problem.

I thought I would do the brakes myself, watched a video on caster rods and it was seem I'd be able to complete this job without much of an issue.

Might take it in and get a 2nd option.
Might so the small things first. Will be intrested if they pick up on the same "problems"

Thanks guys im loving these replys. So glad I came here :)

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
Is there any chance those quotes are from a Pedders branch? They're known for reporting that everything under the car is worn out and quoting for total suspension rebuilds. I can only think that the extent of repairs reported on a car with only 176k means he really didn't want the job. Some of those prices are truly absurd. There are some complex jobs but I'd suspect they may not be necessary. Second opinion if you can't do it yourself is recommended.

Coopers automotive. Tasmania.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Coopers automotive. Tasmania.

North or South? Bloke in Invermay is normally really good and really reasonable on prices. If your in Launceston I can certainly put you onto a couple of places who will look after you better than Coopers have.
Get the tailshaft bearing checked again at least. If it goes you will be in a world of pain. They start out with a small vibe on acceleration and not too long after go bang.
One thing with the quote is for sure, Coopers seem to do this when quoting, some jobs end up cheaper or about bang on. Yet other things will be outrageously exi.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It doesn't leak any oil. He said it needs a rocket cover gasket. I changed oil just over 5000kms ago and probably needed a tiny top up. Guess it's normal tho.

There isn't any leaking coolant and when k brought the car o flush the system and replaced with 50/50. So I was very curious why they wanted to touch this. I've keept an eye on the system because I'm always weary on the cooling. 5000kms no problem no water usage.

He said I should be able to hear a noise from the tail shaft. I did say I've never heard it and I listened out for it since and can't hear it.

There is no vibration at all. Last massive trip I did 1500kms in 2 days not 1 wink of a problem.

I thought I would do the brakes myself, watched a video on caster rods and it was seem I'd be able to complete this job without much of an issue.

Might take it in and get a 2nd option.
Might so the small things first. Will be intrested if they pick up on the same "problems"

Thanks guys im loving these replys. So glad I came here :)

Screw that guy, we'll assist with info if you want to tackle these jobs yourself. Sounds like there is little wrong with the car.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Caster rod bushes.....Bought newies recently or a VY....$60 (I think)...Labour would be max 20 minutes

Brake fluid flush....If you have a compressor, invest $100 in a 1 man bleeder kit for $100

Rack....Just had a manual rack recoed.....Cost me $395...Fitting time 1/2 hour

$130 to look at a handbrake....WTF....They're smoking some good crap...10 minute job

$430 for a rocker cover gasket....Fook, I can buy a brand new pretty rocker cover and gasket for my Red and still have change to do an oil change, fuel filter change and buy tea ....He's on some good drugs.

To check for an oil leak, wipe your hand across the back of the rocker covers (firewall side)....They have a habit of weeping from there

Tell the mongrel, stop smoking that funny stuff.....

Last edited:

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
I'm in the south mate.
I do appreciate it.
I've got it booked in at another place for Wednesday.
I use to take my car there, they do a good job but are very expensive and seem to find more problems then really need doing I think. But I just want to compare the difference and he won't charge me to look over it.

North or South? Bloke in Invermay is normally really good and really reasonable on prices. If your in Launceston I can certainly put you onto a couple of places who will look after you better than Coopers have.
Get the tailshaft bearing checked again at least. If it goes you will be in a world of pain. They start out with a small vibe on acceleration and not too long after go bang.
One thing with the quote is for sure, Coopers seem to do this when quoting, some jobs end up cheaper or about bang on. Yet other things will be outrageously exi.

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
Really appreciate it! I'll wait for the 2nd opinion. Then I'll have a good idea what I need to fix.
I will carry out the work myself with your assistance :)
Screw that guy, we'll assist with info if you want to tackle these jobs yourself. Sounds like there is little wrong with the car.[/QUOTE

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
Yeah
Caster rod bushes.....Bought newies recently or a VY....$60 (I think)...Labour would be max 20 minutes

Brake fluid flush....If you have a compressor, invest $100 in a 1 man bleeder kit for $100

Rack....Just had a manual rack recoed.....Cost me $395...Fitting time 1/2 hour

$130 to look at a handbrake....WTF....They're smoking some good crap...10 minute job

$430 for a rocker cover gasket....Fook, I can buy a brand new pretty rocker cover and gasket for my Red and still have change to do an oil change, fuel filter change and buy tea ....He's on some good drugs.

To check for an oil leak, wipe your hand across the back of the rocker covers (firewall side)....They have a habit of weeping from there

Tell the mongrel, stop smoking that funny stuff.....
I knew it was way overpriced!
With the rack what's a good sign they actually need attention.? Also what happens if it stops working ect?

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
Thanks again everyone I'm really appreciating all these messages and help!
I can't wait to see what the next quote and what items will be on there.