Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2002 vx commodore wont start plz help

selena02

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx commodore
we have been having problems with our ignition for a while now...when u turn the key it would start but then go off instantly after a while we realised that if we lock the car and then unlock it would start but today we turned the key and something went click and now the car wont start and it is stuck on the middle bit so the warning lights and stuff are on....the key can turn but wont do anything has anyone had a similiar problem...would love some advice so i dont get ripped off by a dodgy mechanic....thanks selena

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
check the key head contacts to the ignition barrel sometimes that can happen
try giving them a clean

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
If the car is not cranking over.
Does the security light go off when the reds are on or when you try to start it.
If its stays on there is a KEY/BCM communication error. The BCM activates the starter relay.

Check the starter relay see if it works (swap it over with one that is identical).
Check if there is power on the starter solenoid the trigger wire and the big power cable.
You can bypass the starter relay by bridging pins 30/87 on the relay.
Starter solenoid are common to burn out.

LetsFixIt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
had same problem recently.. was a wire connected to the back of the key barrel that had come off took 2 mins to fix

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Yes mine has this problem i'll turn the key and get a single tick noise then nothing and if i turn key back and try again same thing a tick noise then nothing if i let it rest for 1 minute it starts up fine also the other thing it does is i'll turn key to start car and starter will engage but then loses power and stops but works fine if i try again my battery is only 1 year old and terminals are clean and tight

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Juice, it sounds like the brushes in your starter motor are nearly worn out. I had similar probs and replaced pretty much everything. Last thing I replaced was the starter, after tearing it down and finding the brushes were worn out and that was the original prob all along.