Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2002 VX: - Replaced front shocks but locating plate moves

jcvince

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Hi,

I bought a pair of Auto-Force shock absorbers and two Mackay strut mounting kits (bearing and bearing assembly/bush).

After taking the old shocks off and disassembling, I noticed that the new bump stop and dust cover/boot (came with the new shock absorber) were both very different to the old ones. I ended up using the old dust cover/boot because I couldn't get it to work, and after some fiddling I got the new bump stop to fit. I assembled like the picture below shows.

strut-jpg.173201

I fitted the new shocks to the car, tightened the nut over the locating plate/washer, lowered the car and then tightened again. I had a lot of trouble with the 10mm hex head on the piston rods as they seem to be just over 10mm and even with a ring spanner were slipping.

After a test drive and a bit of bouncing the car by hand, I noticed that the locating plates/washers are moving up and down with the bounce of the car. I'm assuming this is not normal (even though it's only small).

Has anyone had trouble with the Auto-Force shocks before?
Where have I gone wrong or do you think once it "settles in" it will be ok?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jack

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you don't tighten them up properly it will remain sloppy and bouncy.
Can you tighten up the 15/16 nut with a large ring spanner with the wheels on the ground?
The 10mm stud should stay still while the weight of the car is on the wheels on the ground if you know what I mean.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My top plate was spinning after the mech rebuilt my struts. 20 seconds on the tools and I had got it tight like the other side, by doing what Greenacc said.

jcvince

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Is that nut 15/16" or 24mm because either way it's difficult to get anything on it without rounding it.
Same with the 10mm piston rod head - even when applying a lot of torque a ring spinner is slipping around...

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's always been imperial on cars I've worked on.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
OBA? Old Big-Arsed socket?
I use an old big arsed imperial offset ring spanner I got from local markets for $4 :)
And a single hex socket on the rod, I think it's 10mm but could be 3/8?

jcvince

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Ah yea it seems like the right tools will help. What is 0BA? - I had a google but could not find it. I was using the open end of a 10mm ring spanner which was slipping, but I could only get the ring end on by tapping it which was rounding the head.

I'm working away for a week, but when I get back I will buy an offset ring spanner and give it another try and let you know how I go.

Thanks again for your help so far!

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Ah yea it seems like the right tools will help. What is 0BA? - I had a google but could not find it. I was using the open end of a 10mm ring spanner which was slipping, but I could only get the ring end on by tapping it which was rounding the head.

I'm working away for a week, but when I get back I will buy an offset ring spanner and give it another try and let you know how I go.

Thanks again for your help so far!
Are your springs to short for the strut....