Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2002 VX s2 Blown Radiator

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Commodore International Dual Fuel LPG / UL
Just got home from town drove into driveway switched key off jumped out and radiator blew,
hot water and steam spewed out from under car etc. It has blown the drivers side tank of radiator where it is crimped together, temp had been up a tad but still not over half way on the guage.

My question is this, does the pressure / temp increase once switching engine off due to fans off and no cooling sys circulation

The reason I ask is a few months ago I had a the lower hose blow off a few times untill I replaced the sprung original clamps with stainless screw up clamps it always happened when arriving home from being out and about, is there a reason for this or is god looking after me by it happening at home rather than on the road in traffic ?

GM GEN3

GM GEN3
Reaction score
Members Ride
legs ATM
It most likely be cracked for a while my tank did the same thing trust me on one thing don't just replace the tank change the whole unit as i changed the one tank then about a month later the ov other one died it works out cheaper in the long run to mate

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes definately replacing the whole radiator, not just the tank, it would probably cost just as much to replace the tank as the whole radiator anyway, thanks for your comment :)

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
You are correct with your guess that the temp and pressure in the cooling system (actually in the engine) rises as circulation and fan stops when engine stops. Not usually a problem unless the coolant temperaure was high at shutdown. As for the radiator, GMH recommends replacing rather than repairing and there are radiators available for less than $100 if you look hard. Costs more than that to repair. I got one a few months ago, twin trans oil cooler model under $100 with 12 months warranty, no problems at all. ebay with free delivery.
Here is a page with some examples, from $114, free delivery: might also pay to change your thermostat.
http://cars.shop.ebay.com.au/?_from...Commodore+Radiator&_sacat=9800#item51983deca4

Last edited:

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
replace thermosat + gasket whilst your there

should try doing it youself.. i found it easy and quite fun :p takes an hour roughly

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi put in new radiator today, have got new thermostat and gasket to put in tomorrow, I had run it for a while without thermostat, as had a stuck thermostat a while back here in qld summer didnt see it would do anything to bad to run without thermostat for a while, but will put in new one tomorrow plus new clamps on hoses, hoses were all replaced about 2 months back after thermostat gave probs.
hopefully will be fine now for a while, water pump was done about 2-3 years back so should be fine for a while yet.
Thanks for your comments guys much appreciated.
regards Chris