Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2002 vx series 2 brake/wheel bearing advice

Satyrikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s2 '02 auto
hey guys, i bought my car back in sept and from the go the brakes have shuddered ALOT when braking hard/comming down hills etc so im thinking maybe the rotors are warped and im wondering whats the kit i should be after for the front and rear, and also pads. i dont play silly buggers or anything, just to work and back and probably a 200km round trip every 2 weeks to see the inlaws. so i dont need those cop pads i see in the faq or anything.
im in wollongong nsw too.

Also theres been a found from what i think is the front left, ive been told it sounds like a wheel bearing, its worse when the car has been parked for ages, and im assuming is cold. Its like a whirring/scrubbing type of noise that the frequency of the sound changes with the speed, its quite audible in the cabin if you pay attention to it, i took it to a mechanic a couple of months back and he said it had a tiny amount of shift in the wheel when he shook it but nothing extreme or worth worrying about. But the noise is farkin annoying!.

He quoted me something like $225 for the bearing plus 80 bucks or so labour. not sure if thats a rip off or not?

sorry for the vague description lads, im not a car person haha, but love my como and want to keep it running well as i have a youngin i drive about, plus the better half. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
thank you

paulsautoelec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
there is not much differenc in price between machining your discs or replacing with new ones. i would do the brakes first and see if the noise persists

Satyrikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s2 '02 auto
no worries mate, cheers will do.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
That little bit of play in the front left wheel would indicate that the wheel bearing has gone and is causing that noise.
You say you are no mechanic, but the cost of buying one on ebay, for your particular model, posted to your door, plus the cost of a gregories/holden workshop manual to instruct you on how to do the job, plus the basic tools needed (most complex being allen/hex keys) and you are looking at no more than $200 IMO.
Done the job 3 times now, not that hard, just takes a little time.