Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2002 WH Statesman Engine Noise - Video Included

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
As the last 2 members have said,you can change the oil however this will only be a temporary measure,the lifters etc are buggered and you need to essentially do a top end rebuild or just change the lifters however as the heads are off may as well do the cam etc at the same time, the fans shouldn’t be coming on at start up so you may need to change the sender that’s located in the radiator ,I could be wrong ,hard to tell without actually seeing it in person

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
If the A/C is on the fans will run non-stop regardless of coolant temp, albeit at a reduced speed.

Andrew

WHM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 WH Statesman
As the last 2 members have said,you can change the oil however this will only be a temporary measure,the lifters etc are buggered and you need to essentially do a top end rebuild or just change the lifters however as the heads are off may as well do the cam etc at the same time, the fans shouldn’t be coming on at start up so you may need to change the sender that’s located in the radiator ,I could be wrong ,hard to tell without actually seeing it in person

If the A/C is on the fans will run non-stop regardless of coolant temp, albeit at a reduced speed.

Andrew

Yeah, I fucked up with that first video. It was started with the AC on.

Seems like it's time to start saving, ouch.

WHM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 WH Statesman
Update, was unable to find any exhaust leaks, so thats a let down.

Decided to give it a listen with the classic screw driver stethoscope and it's pretty obvious its coming from around cylinder 5/7.

Nulon worn engine additive and 20/50 Nulon oil

Will probably go with this after I change the lifters over. Just out of curiosity, any preference on synthetic, semi or mineral? Due to the age I'd probably go with semi- but a few people here seem to only use mineral oils.

Sounds like the classic lifter

sounds like lifters to me.

change the lifters

Decided to get a quote for 12 lifters and a gasket, ended up coming to around $489. So it was less than I was expecting, thankfully there is a long weekend coming up. :cool:

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
that's not lifter noise

it is either broken crown, ring(s) or piston slap i would get a compression test before spending money

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Update, was unable to find any exhaust leaks, so thats a let down.

Decided to give it a listen with the classic screw driver stethoscope and it's pretty obvious its coming from around cylinder 5/7.

Will probably go with this after I change the lifters over. Just out of curiosity, any preference on synthetic, semi or mineral? Due to the age I'd probably go with semi- but a few people here seem to only use mineral oils.

Decided to get a quote for 12 lifters and a gasket, ended up coming to around $489. So it was less than I was expecting, thankfully there is a long weekend coming up. :cool:
V8 engines have 16 lifters mate, 2 per cylinder

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
my vote's for piston slap, might be worth chucking that nulon stuff in and perhaps some thicker oil, 10-20 weight might be a start. I'd have a look at your battery too, it was struggling to turn it over in the video.

WHM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 WH Statesman
my vote's for piston slap, might be worth chucking that nulon stuff in and perhaps some thicker oil, 10-20 weight might be a start. I'd have a look at your battery too, it was struggling to turn it over in the video.
If this is the conclusion, I will probably be finding a new LS1 or alternative to replace it with. After reading about the additive, I'm pretty sure its liquid lies, so I will just get some thicker oil and see how that goes at first.

The battery is still reading a solid 12.6 volts. I would probably blame it more on the broken ignition switch.