Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2002 WH Statesman Engine Noise - Video Included

WHM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 WH Statesman
To all that guessed lifters, you were correct! The noise has been solved- at least for now.

During the pull apart it was strange to find a relatively clean engine with no damage to anything that we were able to find. Worst issues were a few snapped bolts which were easily removed once the heads were separated. Now its back to the few small issues that are easily solved, starting with the flogged ignition switch.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Good to hear mate did you buy new rocker bolts? The std ones are torque to yield meaning they are only single use

WHM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 WH Statesman
Good to hear mate did you buy new rocker bolts? The std ones are torque to yield meaning they are only single use
Yeah made sure of that- last thing I need is additional costs to remove the bolts.

Would anyone have a clue what bolt size is used on the auto trans dipstick mount, we noticed it was missing when we went to undo it.
Another one is the exhaust header bolts, M8 x 1.25mm x 25mm(?) Any recommended locations to pick these up?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yeah made sure of that- last thing I need is additional costs to remove the bolts.

Would anyone have a clue what bolt size is used on the auto trans dipstick mount, we noticed it was missing when we went to undo it.
Another one is the exhaust header bolts, M8 x 1.25mm x 25mm(?) Any recommended locations to pick these up?
Sorry mate don’t know about the trans dipstick bolt but your m8 bolts should be able to get them at your local engineering/hardware supply store I’d say failing that a Holden stealership

mbrnabic

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
classic lifter noise. I dont know why almost all commodores have these noises. Perhaps gmh put in crap quality lifters. Anyway, congrats on the fix.

WHM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 WH Statesman
classic lifter noise. I dont know why almost all commodores have these noises. Perhaps gmh put in crap quality lifters. Anyway, congrats on the fix.
Nice to see another Adelaide user.

I remember reading somewhere that they are a 100,000km change item- that being said the old lifters were somewhat tired looking (the spring loaded (?) area being over half way compact without any pressure on them) compared to the new ones. When I get back home on Friday I will take a picture of them.

mbrnabic

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Nice to see another Adelaide user.

I remember reading somewhere that they are a 100,000km change item- that being said the old lifters were somewhat tired looking (the spring loaded (?) area being over half way compact without any pressure on them) compared to the new ones. When I get back home on Friday I will take a picture of them.
Hi There, I remember helping a friend changing his lifters on his vz ss. The car had only done 40,000km. Holden said it was of part of "acceptable noise whilst engine was running" . I recall looking at them and noticed how worn they were (as you mentioned with your lifters). In the factory, im sure they use the cheapest parts available from China. I hope your car will live healthy, with no lifter noise.