Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2002 WH Statesman Engine Noise - Video Included

WHM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 WH Statesman
Recently bought the car and have been driving it like a slug, after a week it has started to develop a new engine noise and being a potato when it comes to anything more than basics I think its more appropriate to ask a community that may know what they are talking about.

Some other notes: It is pretty much due for a service (283,000km- so I'm assuming its would be a major service)- not sure if there is a service items list around the place, going to have a search around.

Eitherway, behold the 'noise'.

Edit: Additional information
After re-watching the initial video I noticed that it isn't as obvious as when the engine is warm. So here is the noise after driving about for 10 minutes.

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Sounds like one of the radiator fans. When the noise stopped so did the fan.

WHM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 WH Statesman
Sounds like one of the radiator fans. When the noise stopped so did the fan.
Thanks for the response. I have my doubts, but I have added another clip of when the engine has warmed up. The ticking/tapping is rather obvious in that one.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
The fan noise was overpowering and that's what I thought you were talking about, so I didn't really hear anything else.

WHM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 WH Statesman
The fan noise was overpowering and that's what I thought you were talking about, so I didn't really hear anything else.
No problems, I did review the video and it wasn't the most helpful. I'll just post it in a response too- but this is the tap after warming things up.
Any ideas?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Could be and exhaust leak from the manifold. Get a piece of hose and put one end to you ear and poke the other end around in the engine to see if you can find where the noise is coming from. Like a stethoscope.

WHM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 WH Statesman
Could be and exhaust leak from the manifold. Get a piece of hose and put one end to you ear and poke the other end around in the engine to see if you can find where the noise is coming from. Like a stethoscope.
I personally didn't even think of this one. I will give it a look over tomorrow during the day and update the thread as I go. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions!

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
The ticking noise is normal with the Commodore motors after a few klms. We use some Nulon worn engine additive and 20/50 Nulon oil and the tick is nearly unnoticeable.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Sounds like the classic lifter or valve train noise especially with those kms on it, maybe due for new lifters which is a bit of work on the LS engine due to the cylinder heads having to be removed

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I agree with vr304, sounds like lifters to me. It's more noticeable right at the beginning of the first video because it takes a second to build oil pressure with a cold start.

Gen III & IV LS engines are a PITA to change lifters as mentioned above and the early versions of these engines were known for having crappy valve train components from new.

Some fresh oil might quiet them for a while but it's a bandaid at best. Better start saving up for the heads to come off. BTW, might be worth considering a cam swap and a set of good quality rockers at the same time?

Andrew