Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2003 VY 6-speed T-56 - Which oil??

elladur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II SS
Hey everyone,

Wanting to change the oil in my gearbox (clashing a bit when cold, shifting is a bit notchy and hard), and having trouble deciding what to use. Some people recomend using castrol transmax Z, others recommend standard dexron III because synthetic oils will ruin a T-56. I've also heard/read people raving about mainlube 154 gear oil.

What do you guys use/recommend?

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
If you want a proper gear oil on the cheap that will suit your t56, your options are Penrite MGO 70w (it'll say t56 on the label) or Nulon Smooth Shift 80w (which states its designed to be used in place of auto fluids in manual boxes)..

-Nick.

eroled

VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
How much will it hold and is there instructions on here how to do it ?
Cheers Phil

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
eroled, according to the search feature, no there isn't :S Which is odd. Either way there's two bolts on the sides of the T56 for filling and removing. Simply undoe the bottom one to drain, and replace that and undo the top one to fill. Unless you have an aftermarket transmission cooler

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
My useless **** of a gearbox builder put regular gear oil in my T56 after rebuilding it, it was shithouse. Slow, notchy shifts which would often clash. I swapped it for Transmax Z after hearing good things and mien got the difference was night and day, much smoother, no more crunches. I also hear good things about Mainlube, but the price is just silly so I never bothered. Would happily recommend the Transmax, and would strongly discourage the 70 or 80 weight oils, they are just too thick for this box - there's a reason Tremec specified a DexIII type fluid...

Regarding filling, alien is nearly right, except once you fill it to the brim of the filler plug, you're supposed to remove the reverse sensor and add another 400ml. Beats me why they didn't just make the filler plug higher up, but that's how it's done, and it's even documented in Holden's own service manuals.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Running ULX in mine, awesome oil, brand new gearbox but its smoth and i love it.

eroled

VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
eroled, according to the search feature, no there isn't :S Which is odd. Either way there's two bolts on the sides of the T56 for filling and removing. Simply undoe the bottom one to drain, and replace that and undo the top one to fill. Unless you have an aftermarket transmission cooler

ok that makes it easy so just fill up untill it starts to come out top hole, correct. My gear box is runnig sweet but just a piece of mind knowing its been done, it only done 100 000 km. While im under the car doing diff pinion seal , diff oil ,diff cradle bushes and nolathane solid diff insert i thought I may as well do gearbox oil aswell . thanks for the help.

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
would strongly discourage the 70 or 80 weight oils, they are just too thick for this box - there's a reason Tremec specified a DexIII type fluid...

The nulon "80W" is just like dex3 so it's thin enough.. Never had any dramas in a mate's vy ss and it copped a regular flogging..

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Regarding filling, alien is nearly right, except once you fill it to the brim of the filler plug, you're supposed to remove the reverse sensor and add another 400ml. Beats me why they didn't just make the filler plug higher up, but that's how it's done, and it's even documented in Holden's own service manuals.

Oops, yes, that's an important part of it. I only work on ones with aftermarket coolers now, so only fill to there then fill the lines going to the radiator and top up.

eroled

VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
thanks danja, alien and nick for the quick replys I missed that extra 400ml part whooooops , how much in total ,if I get 4L would that be enough to do the job . no aftermaret cooler and is it best to drain gear box oil hot or cold.
cheers Phil

Last edited: