Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2003 VY Commodore Radiator Removal

silvereels

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VL
As they made the VY over a five year period GM put different radiators in them. I am having difficulty in separating the radiator from the auto transmission condenser that sits in front of it of my 2003 VY 3.8litre. I don't want to have to take the front bumper off if I can get away without doing so. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

bazagorokan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 CALAIS 2012, A6, 3.6
As they made the VY over a five year period GM put different radiators in them. I am having difficulty in separating the radiator from the auto transmission condenser that sits in front of it of my 2003 VY 3.8litre. I don't want to have to take the front bumper off if I can get away without doing so. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
on my vy ss 5.7 , there are large plastic clips on both the radiator and condenser , I think 4 . the condenser clips push in to the radiator clips , you have to prise them apart maybe with a large screw driver . be careful not to damage the cooling fins . you will need a good torch or light to see what you are doing . you may have to unclip the top aircon pipe to condenser to give you some clearance to give you room to move the condenser away from the radiator so you can lift the radiator up and out , good luck and look carefully what you are doing .....cheers.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
That is correct,
I replaced the Radiator in my VY, and unclipped the Condenser with a screw driver, DONT piece the Condenser.
Be careful of undoing the Auto Trans Pipes, that you don't crack them, AND/OR LOOSE THE AUTO TRANS BARB SEALS/GASKETS,
they could remain on the end of the pipes fittings, or stay in the radiator fitting,
They are just like small round gaskets, where mine were like small green gaskets.
When I removed the Radiator, the cooling fans and radiator are removed as one,
If you miss them when you install the new radiator, they will leak like everywhere,
And Auto oil is a **** to clean up.
On the new/replacement radiator when clipping the cooling fans on the replacement radiator, heat the clips up with a heat gun or hair drier, because if you try and slide the fan unit into the clips they could break,
Then the fan housing is floating.
last of all, bleed it properly.
Most of all, take your time,
Good luck ;)

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
If the radiator coming out is stuffed, use said long screwdriver and a hammer and break the clips off. Will save you much headache and skinned knuckles.

silvereels

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VL
on my vy ss 5.7 , there are large plastic clips on both the radiator and condenser , I think 4 . the condenser clips push in to the radiator clips , you have to prise them apart maybe with a large screw driver . be careful not to damage the cooling fins . you will need a good torch or light to see what you are doing . you may have to unclip the top aircon pipe to condenser to give you some clearance to give you room to move the condenser away from the radiator so you can lift the radiator up and out , good luck and look carefully what you are doing .....cheers.

Thanks bazagorokan

silvereels

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VL
If the radiator coming out is stuffed, use said long screwdriver and a hammer and break the clips off. Will save you much headache and skinned knuckles.

Thanks lowandslow, I wore gloves luckily

silvereels

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VL
That is correct,
I replaced the Radiator in my VY, and unclipped the Condenser with a screw driver, DONT piece the Condenser.
Be careful of undoing the Auto Trans Pipes, that you don't crack them, AND/OR LOOSE THE AUTO TRANS BARB SEALS/GASKETS,
they could remain on the end of the pipes fittings, or stay in the radiator fitting,
They are just like small round gaskets, where mine were like small green gaskets.
When I removed the Radiator, the cooling fans and radiator are removed as one,
If you miss them when you install the new radiator, they will leak like everywhere,
And Auto oil is a **** to clean up.
On the new/replacement radiator when clipping the cooling fans on the replacement radiator, heat the clips up with a heat gun or hair drier, because if you try and slide the fan unit into the clips they could break,
Then the fan housing is floating.
last of all, bleed it properly.
Most of all, take your time,
Good luck ;)

Thanks krusing