Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2003 VY series I Calais 90000kms for $16000 - what do you guys think?

sekah

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VYI Calais
Hello VY owners and enthusiasts! Relatively new reader, & first time poster here :D

As the title suggests, i've found an '03 VY series I Calais up for sale in my area, and, having driven the car (and foolishly fallen in love with the car) i've met the owner 'halfway' at $16k pending a mechanical check.

This car has the un-supercharged 6, features cream leather interior, fully electric seats, a sunroof, a very straight body, low Ks for its age being only 90000, servised regularly..and vy II brake lights. Otherwise it's stock as a rock.

- The only thing that we noticed while driving the car is unusually heavy steering at low speeds (unusual given it has the speed sensitive power steering) and what i thought was high wind noise coming from the sunroof, and a rattle in the back somewhere...but it's not going to be enough to drive me nuts..lol

What does everyone think about the price for a car of this year make and condition? Have I missed any features/options that it may have that's different from other 03 VYI Calais'?

The car is booked in for a mechanical check on Monday so if that goes well and i can't haggle him down a few hundred dollars for worn pads or tyres etc then i'll probably part with $16000...what are your thoughts??

Cheers for your time everyone :thumbsup:

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
a calais series 2 is twice the car a series one in, but that aside it sounds good!

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
These cars are easy to fall in love with. Remember that it's not fully optioned, no warranty and it is a series one with the base level engine option.

I think you can do better for the money and have done so myself having bought a VY2 L67 with all HBD options and 100000kms Holden warranty. I was lucky yeah but still think you are paying too much.

sekah

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VYI Calais
a calais series 2 is twice the car a series one in, but that aside it sounds good!

I didn't think there was a significant difference between the s1 & s2, surely not twice as much? It is still a Calais afterall ...can't be that much worse :yeah:

As for falling in love chargedvx6 you're right, it's too easy... i can see me talking myself into the sale at $16k, but realistically it is a pretty great example of the car having shale leather and a sunroof and it's located in my state...so very convenient, but I can't help but wonder what i'm missing out on by not getting a s2?

The L67, is that just the supercharged 6? I've read that the fuel economy isn't much better than an 8, and for the power difference and happy factor if i was going for a s6 i'd probably just buy an 8. Especially since i'm a bloke under 25 the insurence for a s6 is slightly more than the 8...go figure :unsure: What sort of options does yours have?

Above all I think i'll buy it, i only hope that the slightly heavy steering isn't going to turn out to be an expensive problem to fix down the track..

Duk13y you're right, getting him down a few hundred or so after i get the mechanics report is a good idea and shouldn't be too hard. $15500 would be my sweet spot i reckon!

Cheers guys

Fishman88

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais 190KW A5 CHE TUNED
Go for the VYII looks heaps betternd a supercharged one toou wont regret it!! then put some vz calais rear lights and ur all set also have FE 1.5 too [correct me if im wrong] sports luxury suspension. But a few more thousand can get u a VZ Calais soo ye goodluck. Do wat ur hearts tellin u hahha

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
I agree about the series 2 being a better car (as in all models), but that aside, I think theyre asking a pretty fair price, plus it has the leath int and a sunroof.. plus reasonably low ks... Id say its a great find!

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
sekah, ig you know the mechanic, or trust them, get them to say a few things are wrong with the car [they'll work somethign out]. That way you can show a piece of paper with some faults on it and can argue a bit more. The mechanics should be able to think of something! :p

EDIT: Unless it's something like a RACV vehicle check. That you probably wouldn't be able to organise! :( Unless your friends with an RACV mechanic [helped me with my last car, my mate told the tester to be harsh, tester almost got thrown off the car lot. This tester even got a stehoscope out to check the engine].

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
About series 2, generally they just fix faults and that. the calais series 2 became a sports luxary sedan.( i think to due to holdens realising the current falcon was a more refined car at the time) series one is just a luxary sedan. That said, its still a lovely car.
Its just me, i can tell a S2 calais by looking at it. But hey, i'll never be happy until i get that monaro cv8r!